Help Reading Notation in Margin Please!

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

scotincanada

Help Reading Notation in Margin Please!

Post by scotincanada » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:32 pm

I have been waiting for this for a long time ... my maternal grandmother's birth registration! As an illegitimate baby, who grew up to have an illegitimate baby herself, she was unfortunately not talked about much. I was hoping maybe a father was listed, but there is none. However, there is some sort of notation in the margin that I cannot decifer. Wondering if you can help? Her name was Marion McGregor and she was born December 28, 1907 to Elizabeth McGregor in South Knapdale, Argyll. The registration took place in 1908. Thank you very much!!

WilmaM

Re: Help Reading Notation in Margin Please!

Post by WilmaM » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

Could it be an RCE note?

Referring to an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries, with a volume or page number.

If so there should have been a red button on the ScotlandsPeople page, that you could follow to read any further details.

I've only come across them on Death Entries, but they do appear on the others.
More info on SP's FAQ http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/conte ... 28#RCE%27s
Wilma

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:36 pm

I presume you have the certificate as an electronic document. If you scanned it into a programme like photobucket we would be able to see the detail and manipulate it with a free programme like Irfanview to enlarge it. It's possible it may relate to some form of court intervention and decision about paternal responsibility.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

In this case, not a reference to an RCE entry, just "C???: Err[or]: Col[umn]:5 [initials]", referring to the fact that 'Present' has been scored out in column 5, since it's a given that the informant, the mother, was present.

The initials are probably those of the superintending registrar.

In the first few years of statutory registration, 'present' was taken to mean a witness of the actual birth (or death), but the meaning was later modified to 'in the household at the time'.

mb

Later PS.

I didn't 'see' it at the time, - it's obvious to me now, - "Cler[ical]: Err[or]: Col[umn]:5 [initials]"

mb

scotincanada

Post by scotincanada » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:24 am

Thank you everyone! Your help is much appreciated. Too bad though ... I was hoping for some clue as to the father of Marion (my great grandfather.)