Cushnie name change on birth record

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Cushnie name change on birth record

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Hello Folks

I have started on my daughter in law's tree and am a bit nonplussed by a birth record:

James Black CUSHNIE; b. 1894 in Dundee died 1897 Dundee

His brother Angus Wilson Riddell CUSHNIE b. 20th (?) April 1898 had his name changed to James Black CUSHNIE as per RCE on 19 Aug 1899. However although his first recorded name still appears on the birth registration it can only be found by searching for James Black CUSHNIE. What would be the correct way to name him on the family tree? I feel he should get his original name then the RCE but that no doubt would muddy the waters for future searchers. Maybe it's too late at night, but I can't see a way of making both names acceptable. I wondered if he might have had a different father but no the birth reg gives the same parents for both boys.

Any hints on what others find the most useful way of naming Timeline name and Timeline details would also be most welcome

I have started a new family tree for this lot but see that both trees come together under Contacts. Might this be a problem in future?

Grateful thanks go to anyone who can help dispel the mists!

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Cushnie name change on birth record

Post by Anne H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Lorna,

The correct way of naming the child on your family tree would be James Black Cushnie. The renaming to James Black Cushnie on the RCE supersedes the original name of Angus Wilson Riddell Cushnie and the original registration will always be attached to the RCE along with the new name. The name change would likely be to honour the deceased child or perhaps another relative with the same name.

You could simply mention the change of name in the note section which is what I do.

Regards,
Anne H

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Hi Anne

Thank you very much for that. It puts my mind at rest - although I feel a wee bit sorry for wee Angus' original identity just floating away and I have no doubt there were a few pretty miffed rellies!

Thanks again.

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:27 pm

You're welcome, Lorna! :)

Maybe you'll come across another Angus Wilson Riddell as you continue your research.

Happy hunting!

Regards,
Anne

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

You may also find an old uncle [or the like] called James Black - who promised to leave something in his will to a child named after him.

I have a friend who has endured 2 'unusual' forenames for that reason - only to find it was a very paltry sum!
Wilma