Looking for a death cert

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

Looking for a death cert

Post by crayspond » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi everyone at TS,
It's been a while since i posted and i'm afraid it's my Beveridge lot again! This time it's the brother of my gt gt grandfather Thomas Beveridge who lost his life at sea in the Bay of Biscay. He was a Steamship stoker as was his brother James.
I am trying to find a death certificate for him which i thought would be fairly straightforward. His name is James Beveridge and he was born in Dunfermline in 1831 to George Beveridge and Margaret Drummond
The family moved to Glasgow between 1843/51. James married Catherine Duncan in Glasgow in 1849 they had 7 children. Although he is not on the 1871 census - Catherine is not widowed. In 1878 he is on the marriage certificate of daughter Margaret. His occupation is Steamship Stoker. In 1880 his daughter Janet dies age 13 He and Catherine are both recorded on the death cert. They lived at 48 Rumford St Bridgeton Glasgow in 1871 and 1881.
However, by the 1881 census Catherine is a widow. It would seem that between his daughter Janet dying 22/11/1880 and the census return of the night 3rd or 4th April 1881 he has also died. I thought it would be a simple case of looking for him within a very short time span on Scotlandspeople but there seems to be no matches for him that i can see.
As he was a steamship stoker he may have left after Janet died to work away -Scotlandspeople have a marine Register but there is no mention of him on it.Catherine died in 1898.
I come up with 44 possibles that's using wild card Be*****ge as it is a name that has many spellings. I have also put the death range 1871 - 1930. In 1880 he should be approx 50 - 51 Only one at 54 died in 1879 Cambusnethan fits him and sadly it's not him. I still have credits but wondered if anyone has any ideas for the search mode?

Regards