Register of Corrected Entries

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

rossm

Register of Corrected Entries

Post by rossm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 pm

Hello All,

I've recently come across an anomaly in a Death Register entry from 1857, relating to a couple of deaths in a mining accident. The entries for both the deceased parties are clearly marked underneath as "Result of Precognition by Procurator Fiscal". I'd normally expect this to have a cross-reference to the relevant entry in the Register for Corrected Entries, but in this case there isn't one. Does this mean the RCE only started to be kept some time after 1857, and if so, will the Precognition likely be recorded elsewhere (NRS maybe?)

Cheers
Ross

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Register of Corrected Entries

Post by AndrewP » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:36 am

Hi Ross,

The Register of Corrected Entries was initiated by the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1854. So RCEs have existed since the start of statutory registration in Scotland in 1855. See the following webpage.

University of Glasgow website: Scottish way of Birth and Death

All the best,

AndrewP

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:27 pm

One possible reason that no entry was made in the RCE could be that the deaths were reported to the Registrar by the Procurator Fiscal.

Normally where a death occurs the family report it to the Registrar and an entry is created in the Register. When further information comes to light from the PF's investigation then a Corrected Entry is made and registered in the RCE.

However if the information provided by the PF is the first intimation to the Registrar of the deaths (ie the families have not yet reported them) then an entry is made in the normal Register of Deaths and as no correction is being made then there is no corresponding entry in the RCE
~RJ Paton~

rossm

Post by rossm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks both for the replies. In this case it looks like both deaths have been registered by the families in question (the informant is brother-in-law on both records), and both have been registered the day after the accident, so I wouldn't imagine the Procurator Fiscal would have had time to report on the deaths by then. The note about the Precognition looks like it has been added later, squeezed between the two records, rather than as a margin note which I've been more used to seeing. I'll maybe contact SP direct and see if the link to the RCE has perhaps just been missed off the website.

Cheers

HeWhoDrinksGuinness

Post by HeWhoDrinksGuinness » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi all,

I have a question regarding Corrected Entries. Is it possible that a burial/cremation may need to be postponed until a Corrected Entry has been submitted? My Great Grandfather's death record has a Corrected Entry that was not finalized by the Assistant Registrar nearly 2 months after his death occurred and was originally registered. I am having awful trouble finding his burial record (which I expect to be a Common Ground record as he seems to have died in a Model Lodging House in Glasgow) and I wondered if it could perhaps be because he was not buried until the Corrected Entry was submitted if there was some ambiguity surrounding his cause of death?

Andy

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:06 am

Hello Andy,

This death, of William Buchanan, was in Glasgow in 1954. I guess by then they could have kept a body in cold storage for a while if it was really necessary, although it would be a bit out of the ordinary, and probably unlikely unless there was something suspicious.

Maybe the Procurator Fiscal was involved?
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/ ... ry-records

What was the original cause of death given and who supplied it, and what was the corrected one and where did that information come from? Do you think the causes given would lead to suspicion about some wrongdoing?

If there was something suspicious maybe it was reported in the newspapers nearer to the date of the corrected entry? It may be worth a look, but could be a bit of a chore.

Glasgow Herald https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... de=2&hl=en
Evening Times https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid= ... de=2&hl=en

All the best,
Alan

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:59 pm

As he died in what was ostensibly a "Public Place" his death would have been the subject of a report to the Procurator Fiscal by the local Police. The inquiry into the death could have quite easily delayed any burial/cremation as no permission would be given until the situation was clarified as to cause of death etc.In addition to this if as you suspect a cremation may have been involved then the PF also had to issue a form which permitted the cremation and bureaucracy does tend to grind exceedingly slowly.
~RJ Paton~

HeWhoDrinksGuinness

Post by HeWhoDrinksGuinness » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Currie and Falkyrn.

The Procurator Fiscal was indeed involved as is shown on the Corrected Entry. The Cause of Death was Coronary Thrombosis on both the Original and Corrected records.

I must admit I am not quite sure why the Original record needed to be "Corrected". The information seems to be the same on both records.

Thanks for your help and information :)

Andy

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Andy,

It is fairly common for an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries to confirm the initial cause of death given as correct. The RCE does not always change the initial decision.

All the best,

AndrewP

HeWhoDrinksGuinness

Post by HeWhoDrinksGuinness » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi AndrewP,

Thank you for this clarification :)

Andy