The Christian Watt Papers

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

LesleyB

Re: The Christian Watt Papers

Post by LesleyB » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:01 am

Hi Susan
...and welcome to Talking Scot :D

The book is still in print, it seems, and can be bought online, but I'm sure there are other places you will be able to buy or borrow it from. The "look inside" feature on the following web page lets you see a bit of the content:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Christian-W ... att+Papers

Best wishes
Lesley

gameoldgirls

Post by gameoldgirls » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:11 pm

HELLO AUSSIE SUSAN.
MY NAME IS HEATHER NOBLE - YOUR GT GRANDMOTHER CHRISTIAN WATT IS MY 4 X COUSIN ON MY PATERNAL SIDE. MY GRANDMOTHER CHRISTIAN NOBLE NEE McLEMAN WAS BORN AT 11 BROADSEA, I DO HOPE YOU HAVE MANAGED TO READ C. W 's PAPERS. I FOUND THEM FASCINATING. CHRISTIAN WAS INDEED A REMARKABLE WOMAN. HAVE YOU READ THE SEQUEL -A STRANGER ON THE BARS BY HER GRANDDAUGHTER, CHRISTIAN WATT MARSHALL? IT IS AN EQUALLY FASCINATING BOOK.
I HAVE PRESENTLY BEEN RESEARCHING MY PATERNAL HISTORY AND DISCOVERED INFO WHICH I THINK WOULD INTEREST YOU. MY EMAIL IS - hcnobleddATyahoo.co.uk IF YOU WOULD CARE TO CONTACT ME. I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING TO FROM YOU.
BEST WISHES, HEATHER, HANTS, ENGLAND.

e-mail edited AT = @

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:22 am

Hi Heather and a warm welcome to [talkingscot]
We love when we get new members with direct connections and more information about a family. That's what TalkingScot is all about :D
I amended your e-mail address so it wouldn't be picked up by the spammers. You could use the PM (personal message) system to contact other members privately. That way you can exchange addresses as well as information about family connections that are outwith our dates.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

PrincessD

Post by PrincessD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:26 am

Hello Aussiesusan

I came upon Christian Watt Papers accidentally in Glasgow airport. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that several of the people mentioned were my father's relatives. With the basics of the family tree in the book I have now traced the family back to Robert the Bruce's widowed sister. My Gt Gt Grandmother was Elizabeth Noble, a sister of Capt. Peter Noble, my gt gt gt grandmother was Annie Watt and my gt gt gt gt grandmother was Christian Noble(Christian Gunner Siccar Mittens) whose father was James Noble, one of the illegitimate twins of James Gordon. Hopefully you were able to obtain a copy of this great book. I have much more family history I can share with you should you wish to contact me.

PrincessD

Post by PrincessD » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello Aussiesusan again

My apologies but I made a mistake in part of the info last night as it was rather late. My gt gt grandmother Elizbeth Noble was the sister of Captain Alexander Noble, Peter's father.

King regards
Diane, Irvine, Ayrshire

CanuckDogLover

Post by CanuckDogLover » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Hello,

I'm searching for the descendants of Margaret Watt of Fraserburgh. I have no date of birth or other details to go by. However, I suspect she was born in the mid to late 18th century...even possibly up to 1800. During my research online, I recall coming across some mention that Christian Watt's mother was Margaret Watt. I've attached a picture of Margaret's (or Margareh?) signature. Does anyone recognize this signature by chance?

Thanks,
C.
Attachments
MargaretW.jpg
MargaretW.jpg (217.54 KiB) Viewed 3274 times

PrincessD

Post by PrincessD » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:16 pm

My 4 x gt grandmother Annie Watt 1780-1863 was one of 11 children ( 6 girls plus 5 boys). She had a sister Margaret Watt whose birth/death details I don't have. I only have birth/death details for 9 of the children.

CanuckDogLover

Post by CanuckDogLover » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:06 am

Hi Princess D,

Thanks for the information.

Based upon the year of birth that you provided for Annie Watt, it does seem plausible that the Margaret I'm referring to is related to your 4x gt. grandmother. In my search, I've come upon another one or two Margarets from roughly the same time period-one in Fraserburgh and the other in a town nearby. I was hoping someone might have something with Margaret's signature....which could be compared to the one I have.

I am not of Scottish heritage, so searching for information is proving a bit hard. I have a book that was owned by Margaret and I wish to gift it to her descendants/heirs, preferably ones still residing in Fraserburgh.