MacGillivary and the Isle of Mull

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Malcolm

MacGillivary and the Isle of Mull

Post by Malcolm » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Following a recent trek on the Ardmeanach peninsula to Macculloch’s Tree on the Isle of Mull, I later bought a book to learn more about the area’s history.
The book title is Tea with Chrissie who, with the exception of the fairies, was the last of the MacGillivary’s to inhabit what is now known as “the wilderness”.
MacGillivary seems an uncommon name which doesn’t appear to feature on Talking Scot.
If however, there is one or more of you out there, I can recommend this book. Not only is it a history of the family name, but also of the Burg and Ardmeanach as well.

ISBN No 978-0-9531890-1-4
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: MacGillivary and the Isle of Mull

Post by SarahND » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:54 am

Sounds like one of Russell's 26 versions of McGilvray (see his signature on one of his posts)! I'm sure he'd be interested if he doesn't know about the book.

Best wishes,
Sarah

clairemcgillivray

Post by clairemcgillivray » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Stumbled upon this post by accident, I will have to check it out! Thank you :)
Interested in: McGillivray (Moray and Aberdeenshire), Alexander (Moray and Aberdeenshire), Strathdee (Moray and Banffshire), Williamson (Moray and Ross-shire) among others.

Russell

Post by Russell » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:07 am

Hi Claire
When I saw your spelling I thought it might be the Aberdeenshire version of the name. My variant (now that I've researched it :)) is from Colonsay and started out as McGilvra until the English speaking Registrar in Oban added the 'y'.
My search pattern on scotlandspeople eventually became M*G*l*v*r*. Thank goodness multiple wildcards are allowed.
Malcolm's book suggestion would have taken me down a completely different side branch although from a social history viewpoint it probably gives some fascinating insights into the hard lives they lived in what appears quite barren, albeit beautiful, parts of the country.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

mags

Post by mags » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:00 am

Hello Russell.i have a McGillivray and a Rowan in my tree. Ewing McGillivray born Scotland. Isabella Rowan was his mother. Is this the same as yours.
Cheers Mags.
Can anyone help Janet Cowie Gold was born 23.03.1884 in Lesmahagow. she married Daniel Turley8.12.1905. and she died in 1938 in Glasgow.Her Mothers name was Janet Black Gold, Nee Cowie. Born about 1858 Her Father was James Gold born about 1849.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:07 am

Dear Mags,
Welcome to Talking Scot! [scotland-flag]

I'm sorry to tell you that Russell is no longer with us: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18382

I hope he now knows more about the MacGillivrays of all spellings - but that doesn't help the rest of us struggling here! Maybe another descendant will read this and get back to you. We have had answers coming in years later from relatives who have found us via an internet search, so there is always hope.

All the best,
Sarah