Help info for Younie family, Rothes/Elgin

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Younie50

Younies

Post by Younie50 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Thank you so much everyone for all your help that has certainly made my job a lot easier.

I shall certainly look at the Sherner too.

I found and Alexander Simpson in Botriphnie, Banff who married someone 19/2/1863 - could be the dad to the young lad? Born out of wedlock perhaps.

Thanks once again.

Barb
Barb
Researching: YOUNIE, Moray shire; REID, Dumbartonshire; PARKIN, Yorkshire; HIBBERD, Yorkshire; HORSHAM, Pareham; BARRY, London; WHELAN, Ireland all to Australia.

Younie50

Post by Younie50 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:06 pm

Sherner turns out to be my Shearer.....the correct name.

I guess she "left home for her confinement"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barb
Barb
Researching: YOUNIE, Moray shire; REID, Dumbartonshire; PARKIN, Yorkshire; HIBBERD, Yorkshire; HORSHAM, Pareham; BARRY, London; WHELAN, Ireland all to Australia.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Barb,
It might be interesting to look in the Mortlach Kirk Session records for the stories behind Helen and Margaret's illegitimate children :wink: I see that the documents exist at NAS:

CountryCode GB
RepCode 234
RefNo CH2/529
Repository National Archives of Scotland
Title MORTLACH, Kirk Session
Date 1623-1977
AccessStatus Open

All the best,
Sarah

Gina

Post by Gina » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:37 am

Hello Younie50,

Just wondering if we have some descendants from the same YOUNIE family ?? And if we have a connection at all.

My 5x great grandmother was called Janet YOUNIE she was born 1781,Dundercas,Rothes,Moray.(she married a John BLACK in 1805 at Knockando,Moray)

My Janet YOUNIE's father was called John YOUNIE born 15 march 1749 in Overton of Easter Elchies, near Rothes,Moray. He died in 1823. Janet's mother was Janet CHALMERS, born c1753 in knockando,Moray.
John YOUNIE and Janet CHALMERS married 17 july 1774 in knockando,Moray.

Baptism Rothes Church OPR
1749 George Inie in Overton - John

My John YOUNIE(6x great grandfather) is the great grand uncle of George YOUNIE.
Their common ancestors are George YOUNIE. The first George YOUNIE mentioned is married to Helen RIACH
The link is - George YOUNIE 1850-James YOUNIE 1814-George YOUNIE 1785-Alexander YOUNIE 1761-George YOUNIE 1723

Regards
Gina

Reaseaching-

McIsaac/O'Loynachan/Loynachan/Lang/McNeillage - killblaan,Campbeltown,Southend,Argyll
Black/Younie/Hay/Campbell/Hendry - Forres,Knockando,Moray,Inveravon,Banff, Refrew
Turnbull/Ross - Sutherland

ROY M

Post by ROY M » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Barb
Try a site called Moray Heritage.
There is a section called libindex where you can do people searches. It is a really good site for relies in the Moray area.

Try this link

http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp

Hope this helps

PS- Had a quick look and there is about 470 Younies listed.
Aw the best and happy huntin'
Roy.

Researching-Martin,Hodge,Brown,Sime,Awburn,Mann,Lamb all E & NE Scotland
Cameron,Montgomery,McVey,Finlay all W Scotland & Ireland

jack purvis

Re: Help info for Younie family, Rothes/Elgin

Post by jack purvis » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:30 pm

James younie, my great grandfather died of senile decay at woodlands old spynie, of senile decay. His first wife, my great grandmother died of scarlet fever, an James married Helen shearer, who witnessed my grandparents marriage at Bellie Fochabers .Alexander had farmed Loanside, along with his wife Margaret and James, together with labourers.
On Alexander's death the farm was broken up, with Margaret on one and James on the other. The farm then is closed down due possibly to clearance and James pursued his career in auctioneering, subsequently going into the Home. His son John, my grandfather, joined the Seaforth highlanders, fought in the ScondBoer wAr, retired and took up work, as a school janitor in Fochabers and latterly in Lossiemouth. He had six surviving children, my mother Jean being the fifth.
Alexander's forebears go back three generations, when I believe, a John came over from Ireland. The name is reputed to be Irish.