Help info for Younie family, Rothes/Elgin

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Younie50

Help info for Younie family, Rothes/Elgin

Post by Younie50 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 am

Hi There,

First post so be kind.

Looking for info on my Gt Gt grandfather and family.

James Younie b 5/10/1827 at Rothes (possibly Loanside farm) - he was an Auctioneer and Sheriff at Reich Street/New Street, Rothes he first
married Jane Stuart 30/11/1853 she died 7/2/1874 - they had 8 children.

2nd marriage to: Helen/Ellen Shearer around 1879 - I think she may have been a Servant?.

Question: Names of any issue between them.
Death and burial records for James and both wives.

I was led to believe he was an elder in the Kirk - Elgin Spynie? His neices told me where they thought he was located - but due to time constraints etc I wa unable to locate.

His son James (My Gt Grandfather) from 1st marriage, emigrated to Tasmania in 1883 aged about 22.
Barb
Researching: YOUNIE, Moray shire; REID, Dumbartonshire; PARKIN, Yorkshire; HIBBERD, Yorkshire; HORSHAM, Pareham; BARRY, London; WHELAN, Ireland all to Australia.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Younie50
and welcome to Talking Scot. :D
Question: Names of any issue between them.
A parent search on the IGI
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true
reveals eight children: Margaret 1855, Ann 1858, James 1860, Jean 1862, Jessie 1865, Alexander 1868, John 1871 & George 1874.
Click on the link above, then put in the Father & Mother's names on the right hand side, at the bottom of the page select Region: British Isles, Country: Scotland, click search and you will see them all.

As they are all post 1855 you will be able to download copies of the original birth entries on the ScotlandsPeople site (a pay per view site, link at top of this page). The 1855 one should be worth seeing as that particular year, being the first year of statutory registration, the forms give much more info than any subsequent year.
2nd marriage to: Helen/Ellen Shearer around 1879 - I think she may have been a Servant?.
You could also look for that 2nd marriage there as the original entry may also give you more info on Helen/Ellen, and Jane Stewart's death too.

Best wishes
Lesley

Younie50

Re: Help for Younie

Post by Younie50 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Hi,

I was rather hoping to shed more light on the second wife and family as I have all the info on Jane Stewart and all the children and her death.

I need to find out when James Senior died, how many other children he had with Ellen/Helen Shearer. There is nothing on them in the IGI index.

Thank you.
Barb
Researching: YOUNIE, Moray shire; REID, Dumbartonshire; PARKIN, Yorkshire; HIBBERD, Yorkshire; HORSHAM, Pareham; BARRY, London; WHELAN, Ireland all to Australia.

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Barb

This looks like the family in 1881:-

Dwelling: Breich Street
Census Place: Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203435 GRO Ref Volume 141 EnumDist 6 Page 5
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James YOUNIE M 52 M Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Auchioneer & Sherriff Officer
Ellen YOUNIE M 34 F Dufftown, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Jessie YOUNIE U 15 F Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Occ: Dom Ser
Alexander YOUNIE U 12 M Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
John Y. YOUNIE U 9 M Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
William YOUNIE U 7 m M Rothes, Elgin, Scotland
Alexr. SIMPSON U 10 M Dufftown, Banff, Scotland
Rel: Step Son

Looks like William aged 7 months is James and Ellen's first born. Also it would apear that Alexr Simpson is Ellen's child from a previous relationship.

Best wishes
Jean

Younie50

Help for Younie

Post by Younie50 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Jean,

That is them, thanks. (George the baby from Marriage one died at the same time as the mum. Older kids had gone away by then. One to Canada and one to Australia and others married).

I cannot find when James Snr died and Helen/Ellen?

That would just about finish my research on the Younies then. :lol:
Barb

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:06 pm

Hi Barb

Have you tried a search on Scotlands People? A search for a death of James Younie b. 1827 +/- 3yrs from 1881 onwards produces only 2 results, both in Moray.

A search for *len Younie b. 1846 +/- 3yrs and after 1881 produces two matches and in both cases first name is listed as Helen, also both in Moray. (However, if you put in Shearer as 2nd surname there are no results, so maybe the surname has been mistranscribed, given incorrectly to the registrar or perhaps is not listed for some reason....)

Their marriage in 1879 in Moray is also there.

Best wishes
Lesley

Younie50

Help younies.

Post by Younie50 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks for the assistance.

James Younie senior died sometime after my Grandmother was born as she used to write to him. My guess would be say 1910???

(My Gran was born in Tasmania in 1892 - she was only 14 and left to look after her siblings when her dad James Jnr wandered off travelling after her mum died.)

She would have been a young lady when James Snr died.
Barb

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi Barb
The free search on Scotlands People confirms there are two James Younies who died in Moray between 1905 - 1915 and were born 3 yrs either side of 1827. To establish which one is yours , you would really need to go and have look for yourself and download the one you think is the likely candidate.

The death entry should tell you who he was married to (so you'll know you have the right one :D ) , who his parents were, where and when he died and the cause of death.

You can also find Jane Stewart/Younie's death (b. abt 1836) there in 1874 as you stated.

Whist there you could also try looking for Jame's family in the 1891 census as that may let you see a few more children born after 1881 (if there were some).

Best wishes
Lesley

Younie50

Post by Younie50 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Thank you so much for all your help. That narrows it down a lot. :D

Have a good night. Its bedtime here down under!!
Barb

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:39 am

Hi Barb,
Looks like James and Helen only had one more child:

Woodland Cottage, New Spynie, Moray
James Younie, 63, Head, born Rothes, Morayshire, General Labourer
Helen Younie, 44, Wife, born Mortlach, Banffshire
William Younie, 10, Son, born Rothes, Morayshire, Scholar
Robert Younie, 7, Son, born Rothes, Morayshire, Scholar

And the children are all gone by 1901:

Woodlands Cottages, New Spynie, Moray
James Younie, 72, Head, born Rothes, Moray, General Labourer
Helen Younie, 52, Wife, born Mortlach, Banffshire

Could this be Helen and wee Alexander in 1871? "Sherner" could easily be a mis-transcription for Shearer.

Woodside, Mortlach, Banffshire
Margaret Sherner, 35, Head, born Aberlour, Banffshire
James Duff, 7, Son, born Mortlach, Banffshire, Scholar
William Sherner, 3, Son, born Mortlach, Banffshire
Helen Sherner, 24, Sister, born Mortlach, Banffshire
Alexander Simpson, 2mo, Son, born Mortlach, Banffshire

All the best,
Sarah