opr records - the numbers printed across the tops!

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosieno1

opr records - the numbers printed across the tops!

Post by rosieno1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 am

I have found the marriage of 3xg-grand parents in 1840 in the opr's - a surprise to me as most of my ancestors were Roman Catholic, being nearly exclusively poor Irish immigrants to Scotland in the times in and around the famine in the 1840's. However Francis Doonin (Doonan & Doonen, in other records) appears to have been in Scotland before the mid 1840's. I have found a marriage between a Francis Dunning ( i think!) and a Catherine McIntyre in Airdrie/ New Monkland in June 1840. I think this is my Frank, and his wife Catherine McIntyre. Certainly my ancestor, their daughter Jane Doonin was born in about 1846 in the Airdrie/ Monklands area, from later Census records. Certainly, on Jane's marriage to my 2xG grandfather, Joseph Duffy, her parents were given as Frank Doonin and Catherine McIntyre.

Unusually though, they seem to have separated, certainly Frank is on his own with his kids in 1861 at Omoa Square in what is now Cleland, and in 1871 he and his son, also Francis, are living seperately as lodgers with different families again in Omoa Square. I have not found Catherine in the census at all in these years, yet she is there with another daughter in 1881, and again in 1891, before dying in 1894.

Any way, I am trying to find out any info about where the 1840 marriage took place - the numbers across the top of the records is :- 651/00 0070 0266. What does this number indicate ? I understand the numbering on civil records, and am looking for somewhere to look up this number - perhaps I will be able to find the exact church the marriage record related to!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks Jane

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: opr records - the numbers printed across the tops!

Post by AndrewP » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:34 am

Hi Jane,

0651 - parish number 651 (New Monkland)
0070 - volume number 7
0266 - page 266

OPR 651/7 is the book containing marriages and deaths in New Monkland between 1820 and 1854.

This information can be found from the page where you click to view the OPR page. There is a button "VIEW FREE HEADER". From there you get to the information rergarding the source of the data in that OPR.

All the best,

AndrewP

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Here they are at Shotts in 1851 as transcribed at Ancestry-

Frank Dorner 45 b Ireland
Catherine Dorner 36 b Kirkretch, (Kirkintilloch?)Dunbarton
Janet Dorner 7 b Airdrie
Cathrine Dorner 4 b Shotts
Maria Dorner 6 Mo b Shotts
Thomas M Ardley 50 lodger

Regards,
Annette

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks Andrew and Annette - work for me to get on with when I return from dinner at my dads! i have been looking for the census result for about 3 years, never saw that one - I guess I didn't use enough wild cards!!

Thanks to you all & Alan Sharp too

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Ibe checked the original census - which scotlands people also transcribe as Dorner - but 'cause i know it, I can see it is Doonin ! It also showes another daughter, Catherine, who I guess died as an infant.

Thanks again for your help!

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I think this must be them in 1841 from FREECEN even though it shows Catherine born at Ireland -

Piece: SCT1841/651 Place: New Monkland -Lanarkshire Enumeration District: 5B
Civil Parish: New Monkland Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Clarkston
Folio: 5 Page: 10
Address: Ballochney

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
DOLLON Frank M 25 Miner Ireland
MCINTYRE Cath F 20 Ireland

Enjoy your ne'erday dinner. [cheers]

Regards,
Annette

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Hi Annette - yes that looks right. Believe it or not Frank's name is transcribed as Dellen on Ancestry, I have had so many variables of Franks surname it is unbelievable - no wonder I missed these two (41 &51). But the icing on the cake is that Janet ( known as Jane later on), married Joseph Duffy, and guess where his family was living in 41 - Clarkston - Ballocking ( as it says on ancestry) - same place as the Doonins! Maybe they were friends , or maybe lots moved on from Clarkston to Omoa Square, for the 51 census times.

Any way thanks again!!