crawfordjohn baptisms

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

douglas

crawfordjohn baptisms

Post by douglas » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:29 pm

At the end of the register in 1854, there are almost 100 baptisms where no date is given for the baptism and the date of birth is several years earlier
1854 baptisms crawfordjophn2.jpg
What would have been the reason for these entries, all together at the end of the register?

Douglas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)

jgmills

Re: crawfordjohn baptisms

Post by jgmills » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:56 pm

Hi,

You can also find whole families listed in one go at the end of 1854 in some parishes. I found one family of 10 Children listed, certainly made it easier than having to search through the films for the births of all those children.

One Theory might be people thinking that when the statutory registers come in they would have to have them registered anyway?

Cheers
John

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:02 am

Hi Douglas,

The Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages (Scotland) Act 1854 called for the Parochial Registers to be submitted to the newly formed General Register Office for Scotland (GROS) in two lots. The registers for years up to 1819 were to be submitted in 1855. The registers from 1820 to 1854 were to be submitted to the local registrar (a post created from 1855 by the above act) for keeping in his fireproof safe (a requirement of the act) until 30 years later in 1885 when the registrar had to submit these registers to GROS in Edinburgh. One of the purposes for keeping the 'recent' registers was that backdated 'missing' records could be entered into the registers. In time, these Parochial Registers became known as the Old Parochial Registers, or OPRs as we generally know them nowadays.

Like you have found, in my research, I have found family groups whose baptisms were added together at the end of the registers.

All the best,

AndrewP

douglas

Post by douglas » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:14 am

Andrew

Thanks for this info. It explains why they all appear at the end of the register.

What I wonder is:
1 Why would trigger the registration after 1854 for, for example, the two entries for Thomson - for births in 1819 and 1820?
2 why do none of the entries give a baptism date?

Douglas
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)