OPR marriage oddity

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Geoff Rogers

OPR marriage oddity

Post by Geoff Rogers » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:55 pm

I have a query with regards to the attached document.

There is a marriage entry for David Young and Anne McDougal for the 13th Nov 1853 and it has a line through the entry. On the 20th Nov 1853 there is an entry for Wm Syme and Anne McDougal which are my ancestors. Is there any logical answer for the crossed out entry.

Many Thanks

Geoff Rogers
Researching Sim(e), Ruddiman, Donald, Munro, Mitchell, Harper, McDougall, Frazer, MacGregor

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: OPR marriage oddity

Post by AndrewP » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:02 pm

Hi Geoff,

I have never seen that before. I took a look at the full page which has the names of 36 couples over a 2 year timespan. That couple is the only one which has been scored through. If these were dates that banns were proclaimed, then maybe someone stood up and said that this couple could not be legally married. That guess is the best that I can offer.

All the best,

AndrewP

Geoff Rogers

Post by Geoff Rogers » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:34 am

Hello Andrew

Thanks for your answer.

I was wondering if the register was made up at a later date from notes made as I have only just realised that my ancestors entry for the 20th Nov follows one for the 27th Nov.

Many Thanks
Geoff
Researching Sim(e), Ruddiman, Donald, Munro, Mitchell, Harper, McDougall, Frazer, MacGregor

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Hi,

I did wonder if this was one of these examples of the Session Clerk trying to get caught up on his records for the handover to the Registrar in 1855. He might have simply made a mistake with the first entry, then realised and subsequently inserted the correct names out of order with the rest. It does seem a very quick turnaround if its the same Anne MacDougall getting Banns called with two different suitors in the space of a week.

You never know though, I guess circumstances were very different back then. Maybe it was William Syme who stood up the week before and declared his true love. Or have I been sniffing the Catherine Cooksons again...

Ross

Geoff Rogers

Post by Geoff Rogers » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 am

He might have simply made a mistake with the first entry, then realised and subsequently inserted the correct names out of order with the rest.
Thanks Ross,

I initially never realised that the entry was out of order but coupled with the fact that the handwriting looks like it has been done at the same time you could be right.

Thanks
Geoff