So difficult

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

thomsos

So difficult

Post by thomsos » Wed May 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Oh how I wish searching for OPR's was a little easier, even if you are lucky enough to find them, they are unreadable,
full range of emotions -
:? ](*,) 🙏 [comp-hammer] 👏 :lol:
[scotland-flag]
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

Currie

Re: So difficult

Post by Currie » Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 am

Hello Sandra,

The trouble with OPR's is that quite often they weren't kept, or haven't survived. You can check coverage on this NRS page, although you may get more detailed information by googling the Familysearch wiki for the parish. https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/ ... -registers

As for the handwriting, have you tried holding them upside down, or in front of a mirror?

But seriously, It's likely that people 200 years hence will have the same trouble reading our handwriting. I have trouble reading stuff I wrote when I was in High School.

Best of luck,
Alan

thomsos

Re: So difficult

Post by thomsos » Sat May 27, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks Alan,
I know what you mean about the handwriting present day, I'm from the time when we had to practice our handwriting at school, and were marked on it.
I find quite a lot on Familysearch.org, but seem to struggle with SP, do wish SP had a subscription option.

Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley