OPR explanation

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

thomsos

OPR explanation

Post by thomsos » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I have just downloaded an OPR 1776 MC, could someone explain it to me :?
for a start at the top it says collections 1777 with amounts next to each couple, then half way down it has Proclamations with amount again next to each couple, also next to some of them its says - irregular!
Hope i'm explaining my self :oops:

Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: OPR explanation

Post by AndrewP » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi Sandra,

The OPRs are in many and varied styles, from one parish to the next. Some of them didn't write the usual words about the bride and groom (and sometimes their parents), and which parishes they were resident in. What you are looking at is a set of accounts, showing the monies paid for the proclaiming of the banns. Some also have payments for baptisms, or for hiring of the mortcloth (for a funeral) on the same page, as well as monies donated, or given to the poor.

In some parishes, the costs don't vary; for others you see different payment amounts by different people, probably according to what they could afford.

Did those who had an irregular marriage pay a different fee from those who had a regular marriage?

All the best,

AndrewP

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Andrew,
They all paid £2.00 which seemed a lot for then.
I tried to upload the image, but no joy, keep getting error messages like -

Critical error Unable to create thumbnail or reduced size image

and

Error -A valid form token could not be found.

Think its and age thing, the old grey matter not working too well :( and :?

Thank you
Sandra
Researching- Clark from Polmont, Wason from Dailly, Anderson & Williamson from Bridgeton, also Thomson, Sharp, Bryce, Gillen & Fairley

rossm

Post by rossm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 pm

thomsos wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:48 am
They all paid £2.00 which seemed a lot for then.
Bear in mind that even in the late 18th century a lot of these accounts are still quoted in Scots Pounds rather than Pounds Sterling (even though it technically ceased to be a currency in 1707). 1 Scots pound is only 1s 8d.

Ross

thomsos

Post by thomsos » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Thank you Ross,
I didn't know that, you learn something new everyday..... I thought I might have had some wealthy ancestors :lol:

Sandra