Cassidy in Dundee

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

jennyblain

Cassidy in Dundee

Post by jennyblain » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Well - I am MUCH further on with Margaret Cassidy, my great-grandmother.
What I've found:
She was born in Dundee in June 1839, the first child of Patrick Cassidy and Mary Connoly, who were married in 1838. The birth is in the St Andrew's RC, Dundee, records :D
She had at least three siblings - three surviving anyhow. They were James ( 1841), Mary (1843) and Elizabeth (1848). She and her parents are in the 1841 census, though a bit messed up as her name is reported as 'Conley' instead of Cassidy. James and Mary were, like Margaret, born and baptised in Dundee - all in the RC records. Elizabeth was born in August 1848 and not baptised until October - the birth being (probably) in Balmerino and the baptism Dunfermline.

In 1851 the family are in the borders, at St Boswell's in Roxburgh. Patrick (Peter in this census) is a railway labourer, which fits with the information I had (even though the informant on Margaret Cassidy's death, her partner Thomas Lynch, gave her father's name as Michael not Patrick).

By 1861 Patrick is out of the scene - he has probably died - and Mary and her children James, Mary and Elizabeth are back in Dundee. James is now a mason, the girls are mill workers. (I have found a possible census entry for Margaret but can't be certain about this.)

In 1871, Mary is in Dundee with her youngest daughter Elizabeth... by 1881 Elizabeth is on her own.
James married Ann McIntosh in 1863* and they are in the 1881 census with children James (16) and Peter (14), James senior being still a mason.

And all this was enabled (via various search sites) because of the RC Dundee records coming onto SP!

But now - I'm stuck with the previous generation, because Patrick/Peter Cassidy seems to have died before 1855... and, oddly, I can't find the death record for Mary Connely or Cassidy. (And I'm obviously using wildcard searches on these names.. She lived until at least 1871, and possibly whoever recorded her death got her birth surname wrong, so there's a bit of guesswork needed here too.)

However - here's tae them! A whole set of connections of whom I'd no knowledge. And I'm wondering if there are descendants of James Cassidy out there - or even on this forum?

Jenny

*Just fixed typo on James's marriage which had predated the event by two centuries! :D
Last edited by jennyblain on Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors

killearnan

Post by killearnan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:46 pm

Replying so I can come back to this easily....

I have a Cassidy family in Edinburgh that's caused me to spend a few credits at SP.

Daughter Jane had John Connolly and Mary Downie as baptismal sponsors in 1834.

When Jane's parents Michael Cassidy and Mary Goodman married in 1830, the witnesses were James Cassidy and Henry Cassidy.

Various extended family members went back and forth to Dundee, so I wouldn't rule out a connection, although the names are common enough in Irish circles that there's no guarantee of a connection, either.
McGee (Donegal to Edinburgh), Jamieson/Guthrie (Leith), Keddie (Peebles, Galashiels), Little (Cavers, Traquair), Arthur (Galashiels) , Paterson (Edinburgh, with occ. spells in Stirling, Greenock, Leith), Ralston (Glasgow to Stirling), Greig (Elgin)

jennyblain

Post by jennyblain » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:43 pm

When I was searching fruitlessly for the death of Patrick Cassidy I found:

1859 Cassiday Patrick, mother's surname GoodWIN aged 40 in Dundee First District, with GROS ref 282/01/0388.

Could this be also connected in in some way - Goodman and Goodwin looking very alike on records, I'd think? (The age is a bit outside your range, though. I haven't got the scan, only that index item.)

But, I haven't found either of these names in my own sets of records. However, there's always possibiltiies...

Jenny
http://wyrdswell.co.uk/ancestors