Kent family history

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

laurie nash

Kent family history

Post by laurie nash » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:16 pm

:lol: I am looking for any information on the KENT family from Bridgton or any one connected to this family

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Laurie
..and welcome to Talking Scot :D

If you are hoping we can give you some pointers to help you in your research or find someone connected to this family it would be helpful if you could give us a few names and dates to go on, otherwise it is needle in haystack stuff! :lol:

(Please try not to mention details of anyone who is likely to still be alive. We usually abide by the 100yr closure rule and do not mention personal details of anyone born after 1908. )

Best wishes
Lesley

laurie nash

kent Family history

Post by laurie nash » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:11 pm

My fathers name was Thomas STEEL HANNAH KENT.
I am trying to connect the STEEL and HANNAH connection.

My grandparents names were William Samuel KENT and Margaret SMELLIE HANNAH.

Her parents were Thomas HANNAH and Elizabeth HANNAH(nee SMELLIE)

I think this is where the connection is !!!!

The STEEL name/connnection has been a mystery .
Where is the Hannah link up with the STEEL family?

I have looked on the "SHOTTS "site but am unable to make the right connections presumming this is correct and I am related to the STEEL dynasty somewhere back along ther line.

Any info would be much appreciated as I seem to be going round and round in circles.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance/information

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi Laurie

Is this the marriage of your Thomas and Elizabeth?
If so, that gives us something concrete to work from, as a place and date are given

From IGI:
THOMAS HANNAH
Marriages:
Spouse: ELIZABETH SMELLIE
Marriage: 14 AUG 1873 High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Do you have a copy of the original marriage document from ScotlandsPeople?
Have you found the couple in any census?

The only way to establish a connection to another surname is to thoroughly research this couple, if you think the name comes from this branch, from their births to their deaths, looking at all available census data and also looking at their siblings - sometimes a connection to a name is through the marriage of a brother or sister. The marriage in 1873, if it is the correct couple, and if you have not already seen the original, will give the parents of both parties - it could for instance be the maiden name of one of the mothers.

Another possibility to explore is that the name Steel has come from your father's mother's side of the family, but you may already have researched this.

Best wishes
Lesley

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:40 pm

Middle names can sometimes be a mystery, sometimes they are indeed direct family names/surnames, but other times they can be of other people inportant to the family at that stage in time.
Say a doctor or nurse, the minister who married the parents - or a rich great uncle who might leave the baby someting in his will.

I'd just take things one step at a time and trace your family back one stage at a time through marriage details and censusrecords etc and who knows a Steel may pop up where you least expect it.

I have 2 great Aunts with surnames as middle names - the Larmour I finally found was her great Grandmother, the Lamont I've still to track down several generations later!

You don't mention dates or places in your posting, that might help put us in the correct timeframe.
Wilma

Iain Kent

Re: Kent family history

Post by Iain Kent » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:05 pm

Hi Laurie,

I think the William and Margaret you are looking were my paternal grandparents. I also have an uncle Thomas, my fathers brother, also William Samuel, who all resided in Bridgetown or latterly Oatlands. Grandfather William, I have been told worked in the Parkhead forge.

If this is the correct family connection, let me know.

Iain

StewL

Re: Kent family history

Post by StewL » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 am

Hello Iain
[TS_welcome]
I am sure your post will be welcomed by the previous posters, a link-up is always very welcome on TS
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson