Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Ted

Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Post by Ted » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have any information on the exact location of Rescivet - which I think was a farm near to Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire, - somewhere in the vicinity of Inveramsay and Legates Den. I have some of my lot living there in 1836 - 1838. This may help me break down one of my toughest brick walls.

Here's hoping ! :lol:

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi Ted
Go to
http://www.nls.uk/maps/joins/576.html
Choose the bottom map

Just south of Inverury (about half way down on the left hand side) there is a place called Racharrat within Chapel of Garioch area which I reckon is a strong contender.

Best wishes
Lesley

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi Ted,

On a modern map in that locality you can find Resthivet (NNW of Inverurie). I would expect that it should be the same place.

Clicck here for modern map showing Resthivet.

It can also be seen on http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/oneinch_3rd_list.html if you select Sheet 76 (Inverurie). From the NE corner of that map, go west about a quarter of the way along the map, then south a short distance and you will see Resthivet.

All the best,

AndrewP

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 am

Hi Andrew & Lesley

Thanks very much for your help - I am pretty sure it will be Resthivet - as the 1841 census has it the vicinity of Legates Den, Pitcaple House and Inveramsay. It is spelled as Rescivet on the cenus and on 2 OPR baptisms I have - there is no accounting for spelling in those times! - but to be fair to them it is quite an unusual name.

The really good bit for me is that whilst looking closely at the 2 OPR's I noticed something which I had previously misread and spent about 3 -4 years reseaching (wrongly). I had originally thought that the mother's surname on both was different - but when I enlarged the images to try reading the place name correctly it became clearer that the surnames were the same - just different people did the entry on the parish register - one with better handwriting than the other.

Just shows the benefits of going over old research you have had for a while - the mother on both OPR's is my 2 x G Grandmother and she is one of my major brick walls - maybe now my luck has changed a bit.

Anyway - thanks again for your help - much appreciated.

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

mcmon 30

Re: Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Post by mcmon 30 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:08 am

Hi Ted

Just arrived on to this site.
Noted your querie.
Yes Rescivet is in fact next to Leggats Den (now spelt Leggatsden)
2 parts of my family lived on both at the start 19th century. Some were still there 50 years later. I have visited both sites.
Leggatsden is no longer the original house and land.

Do you have any family with More, Moir, or Davidson for starters?

John

Ted

Post by Ted » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi John

Firstly - welcome to TS - this is a great & very friendly site - lots of people here will be willing to help in your research - just post away!

Thanks for your info on the area - do you have any photos?

My lot were working at Rescivet when two of their children were born. My GG Grandparents James Allan & Jane Aitken had a son baptised at Chapel of Garioch in January 1836 - one of the witnesses at the baptism was James Moir - who was the farmer at Legates Den. I have him (age 55) on the 1841 census still at Legates Den with his wife Janet (45) - also the following children:-

Alexander - 20
David - 15
John - 14
James - 12
Isobel - 15
Janet - 12
Jane - 8

Are these people related to you? - if so I already have the SP image - PM me & I'll provide full details.

Regards

Ted

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:31 am

Hi Ted,

Thankyou for the welcome and I am looking forward to a different look at my brickwall - as you put it. It is in fact the same James Moir that was the witness in your family. He was at Rescivet prior to moving to Leggats Den.

It is interesting that the Alexander More listed as Moir actually came to Australia in 1844. I am a descendant from John later Jonathon. The original family name was More and later became Moir. The first 4 children were MORE and the rest Moir.
There was one of the descendants who was the overseer of the Pitcaple lands around 1850.
I have piles of data.
I am not sure if I have any Rescivet photos on the house but I do have photos of the Surrounding country and since Riscivet was part of the lands of the original Leggats Den it will possibly be in shot. It is a beautiful piece of country and reasonably private as well.
Unfortunately when James died his son Jonathon did not register the parents of James on the deaths certificate.
With your information and the witnesses listed was there any mention of any other MORE or MOIR?
Cheers for now
John Moir

Alcluith

Post by Alcluith » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 am

Hi John,

I have Davidsons that lived around that area, Peter & Catherine Davidson and their children, Maggie, Peter, James William, Ann Mitchell and Katie Hay. Peter dies at Burnside, Braco.

regards

alcluith
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:27 pm

Hi alcluith,

You don't by chance have a Jean Davidson around Oyne about 1778, do you? She lived at Bogandie/Bogend which was in the estate of Westhall slightly SE of Oyne. In the Kirk Session minutes for Oyne, she admits to being with child in "uncleanness" and is ordered to attend the 1st Presbytery at Garrioch in May of 1778. The child might be my elusive 5x great grandfather Clerihew.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:08 am

Hi Ted,

James married Janet Davidson in 1818. The Davidsons were from Oyne. Janets father was Alexander and her mother Isobel Ferguson. I also know she had a sister Jean.
They were married in Oyne 13/12/1781
So where are you located? I am in Australia.

Cheers John