McINTOSH Family of Glasgow?

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

dimac

McINTOSH Family of Glasgow?

Post by dimac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:49 am

One of my ancestors Annie Elizabeth Mason, married in New Zealand, 14 Oct 1889 a Ronald
McIntosh who came from Scotland.

His father was Alexander McINTOSH, a cab driver in Glasgow. He brought his family, which originally
included 9 children, to New Zealand arriving in Wellington on 25 Dec. 1840 and later farmed
at McIntosh Bay, Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, New Zealand, the Bay being named after him
as he was the first person to take up land there.

I am terribly sorry that's all I know about the family except for Robert and Annie's children who
were: Clement George Henry Stewart McINTOSH, Irene (Rene), Ronald George, and Vera Annie.
No mention of Aleander's wife.

Alexander's youngest son, was Robert McIntosh. Another Harry a triplet - one of two boys and a girl,
and Ronald.

Can anyone help do the practically impossible please, and find out more about this McIntosh
family, Alexander's wife & parents.
Thankyou,
DiMac
http://ringofmyforums.proboards.cm/index.cgi
Perthshire & New Zealand:
McLauchlan; Milne; Dunn; Galletly.
Sutherland, Caithness, New Zealand: Sutherland.
Orkney Islands: Shearer; Peace; Laughton; Sinclair; Tulloch; Spence; Laing; Johnstone.
Scotland: Skinner, Kennedy

LesleyB

Re: McINTOSH Family of Glasgow?

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 am

Hi DiMac
One of my ancestors Annie Elizabeth Mason, married in New Zealand, 14 Oct 1889 a Ronald
McIntosh who came from Scotland.

His father was Alexander McINTOSH, a cab driver in Glasgow. He brought his family, which originally
included 9 children, to New Zealand arriving in Wellington on 25 Dec. 1840 and later farmed
at McIntosh Bay, Banks Peninsula, Canterbury, New Zealand, the Bay being named after him
as he was the first person to take up land there.
So that means that Ronald McIntosh was born prior to 1840, so at least 49 when he married? Does this sound about right?

Best wishes
Lesley

dimac

Post by dimac » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Thank you for your post Lesley.
Yes, you would be correct but now I find I'm not.!!- botheration!!
It says the youngest son Thomas took over the property
at McIntosh Bay. Harry being a triplet,.
Going by Annie Mason birth on 12 Oct 1870 it looks as though I've made a big
mistake & Ronald is Harry's son, and Alexander's grandson.
Terribly sorry about that Leslie.
So now I'm concentrating on finding out about Alexander and his family
from Carriden, Scotland not Ronald.
regards,
DiMac
Perthshire & New Zealand:
McLauchlan; Milne; Dunn; Galletly.
Sutherland, Caithness, New Zealand: Sutherland.
Orkney Islands: Shearer; Peace; Laughton; Sinclair; Tulloch; Spence; Laing; Johnstone.
Scotland: Skinner, Kennedy

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi DiMac

That sounds like one of those pits that we have all fallen into at one time or another :?

It's even worse when you build an entire tree only to find that the marriage in 18 umpteen was actually a cousin of the same name or took place in New Cumnock when it should have been Old Cumnock. I'm giving away my own catastrophes here :D :D

Think of it another way. Better to sort out the family now than a year down the line #-o

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Dimac
No need to apologise - we've all been in that situation where you can no longer see the wood for the trees, and posting the problem often brings up aspects and angles we had not thought of before. I've often started posting, and in having to get my thoughts in order and present the info for others to understand, I have realised assuptions I've made and then I've abandoned the post and gone back to look at the whole problem again, with fresh eyes!! :lol: That is one of the very useful aspects of forums such as this.

Best wishes
Lesley

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Hello Di,

Quite a few people appear to have had a go at this one:

Wow! There sure are lots of us McIntoshes out there. My father is Stuart Foden McIntosh, his father was Norman Edward McIntosh, his father was John Alexander (Jock) McIntosh, and his father was Alexander (Sandy) McIntosh, who emigrated to New Zealand from Glasgow in 1840. Sandy had 9 children, and settled first in Wellington, and then moved to McIntosh Bay (now Menzies Bay!) on Banks Peninsular, near Christchurch in the South Island of New Zealand. Would love to hear from any other "Kiwi" descendants of Alexander.
John Stuart McIntosh 1997
http://www.mcintoshweb.com/clanmcintosh ... 997_3.aspx

While in Scotland Jan. 2003, I would like to trace relatives of my GGGgrandfather Alexander McIntosh, born Argyleshire in 1799. He married Margaret McFarlane 16 Nov. 1821 and came to NZ on the ship London and arrived at Pito One near Wellington on Dec 25 1840. He was a native of Perth, was a farmer in Argyleshire, Scotland and before coming out to NZ, drove a stage coach to Edinborough. They had a set of triplets, 2 girls and a boy, and had 4 more in NZ. They moved to Little Akaroa and settled in what is now McIntosh Bay. If any relatives are still around who might be related to Alexander, could you please e-mail me. Thanks in anticipation.Merry Xmas to all you McIntoshes around the world.
Rex Clarence McIntosh 2002
http://www.mcintoshweb.com/clanmcintosh ... 002_4.aspx

This next site appears to have a great deal of the whole kit and caboodle or at least some of it:

McIntosh, Alexander
Birth : about 1799 in Lanark,Glasgow,Scotland
Death : 29 October 1881 in Chester St,Christchurch,NZ
Burial : 1 November 1881 in Addington Cemetery,Addington,Chch,NZ
Arrived in Petone,NZ 12 Dec 1840 on the 'London'.
Had 10 children
McIntosh Bay.
Buried in family plot.
Family:
Marriage: 16 November 1827 in St. Paul's Church,Perth,Scotland
Spouse:
McFarlane, Margaret Oliphant
Birth : about 1801 in Findogask,Perth,Scotland
Death : 19 February 1881 in Chester St,Christchurch,NZ
Burial : 22 February 1881 in Addington Cemetery,Addington,Chch,NZ
Had 10 children.
Buried in family plot.
Parents:
Father: McFarlane, Henry
Mother: Jackson, Christina
Children:
McIntosh, Mary Ann
Birth : 9 May 1829 in Falkirk,Scotland
Death : 18 March 1830 in Falkirk,Scotland
McIntosh, John
McIntosh, Henry
McIntosh, John Alexander

Unknown Author 2006
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... t1.htm#316

Hope one of them’s right,
Alan

ginnie

Post by ginnie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:05 am

Well hi there, have just connected up with your queries on Alexander Mcintosh family to N.Z. I am sure one of the hundreds of descendants about. I live on the old Henry McIntosh property - Little Akaloa. I am in the process of writing a very large book on the Mc family - about 3/4 way thru and would love to help you if I can. You may by this time have got all the data you require - but I dont know that yet. I cannot post all the stuff on this site as it would take forever, but if you emailed me an address or something, I could see what I can do, Ginnie

momat

Post by momat » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:28 am

Hi.
There is information regarding their births and deaths on this free to search site
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/Home/
Hope it helps.
Maureen

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:33 pm

The reference to triplets caught my eye as there was, for a certain period, a Royal Bounty payable for triplets and greater multiple births.

But I see that we've been there before !, - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6212&start=0 , but I guess that the triplets here were born before the Royal Bounty was introduced in 1849 .........

mb

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Russell wrote:Hi DiMac

That sounds like one of those pits that we have all fallen into at one time or another :?

It's even worse when you build an entire tree only to find that the marriage in 18 umpteen was actually a cousin of the same name or took place in New Cumnock when it should have been Old Cumnock. I'm giving away my own catastrophes here :D :D

Think of it another way. Better to sort out the family now than a year down the line #-o

Russell

As Russell says, better now than years down the line !!

Just because an ancestor had an unusual surname, even together with an unusual given name, you have to consider the situation in Scotland where the traditional naming patterns combined with large families could easily mean that the 6 sons all married, had large families, with all naming one son after the unusually named grandfather, be that just the surname or the given name as well ! .......................

mb