Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Ted

Re: Rescivet - Chapel of Garioch, Aberdeenshire

Post by Ted » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 pm

Hi John

Not quite sure what you mean - check your personal message box (go to user control panel at the top right of this page) - I sent you a personal message on 17 Dec - and have re-sent it this evening - it won't show as a public message on this thread. Also I think I may have an e-mail for Evelyn - I'll send that by PM as well.

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Carol

Further into speculation on my mystery James MORE or MOIR.
He had a relative, a cousin named ISAAC as a surname. Is there any in the OYNE material please?

I think I have come down to the parents of James being Father JAMES and mother ISABEL, This combo comes up in the PERTH area and they would have to be married prior to 1785.

I did note that a Davidson married one of the James MOIR's near Alvah around 1870. I must look that one up again.

How is the weather in your area? We are having a cooler summer with just one or 2 hot ones to cope with.

Cheers John

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi John,

There is one Isaac listed in the Oyne Cemetery: Jane Isaac, second wife of William Beverly,farmer at Masonford, Oyne. Died 13 Feb, 1874 aged 59 years. Also their daughter Elizabeth who died 28 March 1890 aged 42 years.

It's cold but sunny here right now. There is a major snowstorm in the works for the center of the country over the next few days which might bring us an inch of snow--rare here in the South! I'm from the north originally though so it's not a big deal to me and since we're retired, we can stay home and watch it all from the fireside!

I'll be out of the house most of the day today, but if you have any more questions, I'll be back this evening.

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Carol,

Thank you for that.

I will stay with my latest theory for a bit and see if anything comes up

Yes I also am 15 years retired so I have the time for this research but on the other side of the world it is a bit difficult at times. These chat programs have given me a new lease of life.

Cheers John

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi John,

Just found this book on Google Books. It's very early, but if you're interested in who was around in 1696, there are a lot of names here. If you go over to the left side of the page, there is a search box for searching within this book and you can get place names as well as surnames.

http://books.google.com/books?id=mhTOAA ... q=&f=false

Carol :D

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:29 am

Thankyou Carol,

Have been going through a lot of material and because there were so many with the same Christian name in many different families with the same surname it does take some sifting out. As yet I have nothing to add. Did try the reference and it may be of greater interest when I get past my brick wall in James More or Moir.

Cheers John ](*,)

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 am

Rescivet is the topic.
Hi Carol and Ted:

I now have a copy of the Oyne data and it was interesting reading.
Have been very busy with other things so have off line for some time.
I am no further with my James. ](*,) Has anone a clue as to options for getting past a person who does not have their parents listed on his death certificate.
I wondered if the parent of our James was connected with the early skirmishes with the English???

John
McMon30

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi John,

If you can't find them in the records, in the Kirk Sessions minutes, or on a gravestone, you might never find your mystery relatives! Newspapers are another possibility, but if your relatives were as ordinary as mine, they probably never made it into the papers either.

My last resort for the parents of my 2x great grandfather will be the Muster Rolls in the archives at Kew--if I can ever come up with the money for that search! In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the records for St. Peter's/Spital cemetery to come online just in case he was buried there. Not holding my breath though!

Carol

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi John

I have to agree with what Carol has said in her last message.

Your James Moir was a witness at the baptism of one of my James Allan's children in 1836. I have not been able to establish my James's parentage desite having been searching for more than a decade. I know his father was called Alexander and his mother called Mary - but I can find nothing to confirm a link with anyone of those names to my James. Sometimes you just simply can't get any further back - particularily with ordinary folk like mine.

Regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

mcmon 30

Post by mcmon 30 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Carol and Ted,

Been a bit busy lately but had a fluke find of a farm map of the farm James went after leaving Leggats Den.
Had to copy it by hand as the file was a government one and no copy could I print.
had another find in one of the sons of James in Alexander went missing after 1840. Low and behold he went to Australia and there are dozens of decendents out here from that line. If I can find the info again I will ask the contact, a distant relative, if they have Alexanders death certificate - that there may be some details on it re James.
Never pays to give up.
Did I tell you I also fluked the print out for the cemeteries around Chapel of Garioch - if anyone needs anything from them just ask. :)
Cheers for now
John
McMon30