John Menzies -from Lenark to Kyneton

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Heidihei

John Menzies -from Lenark to Kyneton

Post by Heidihei » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:04 am

My GGGranfather Andrew Menzies's brother John born 31Jan 1830 Balornock, Lenark, emigrated to Kyneton, Victoria, Australia around 1852. I do not know if he married in Lenark, Scotland or Australia but he married Elizabeth Robertson and they had a child Jessie. He may have owned or worked in a grainstore and been on the local council in Kynton. Died about 1912.

johnniegarve

Re: John Menzies -from Lenark to Kyneton

Post by johnniegarve » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Heidihi, Balornock, Lanarkshire, was probably in Glasgow's Barony Parish. I would start with the Old Parish Registers there.

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 am

Hi Johnnie
Thank you- I do have John and his sibbling's birth record from the Barony,Lenark. And I have spent some time on Family search looking for a marridge - also free bmd incase he married in England. Looking at it from a different view - his dad William Menzies had died abouth a mnt. before his birth so he probely got some money when he came of age and at 21-22,[1852 the year he went to Oz] and his older sibblings was doing ok so he probely was ready for an adventure as it is the age you can do anything. Will have a closer look at the infromation on this page for Australia. Thanks Heidi

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello Heidihei

I assume from your posting on the Aust records thread that you found the Victorian BDM records. In case you missed anything this would look to be the marriage
1855 Marriage John Menzies & Elizabeth Robertson ref 2643. Civil registration started July 1853 in Victoria so marriage should contain parent names and where each of the parties was born. (and age, occupations, address etc) You can download this certificate online - using the reference number given. Probably the best record to get to confirm this is the right person.

Other records probably yours
Birth 1859 Menzies Jessie parents John and Elizabeth Robertson place Kyneton ref 15083
Death 1886 Menzies Elizabeth father Robertson Andre place Kton age 64 ref 13230 (no mother on index so informant did not know name of same)
Death 1912 Menzies Jno parents Menzies Wm and Janet Davidson age 82 place Kynton ref 2224
Death 1923 Menzies Jessie parents Menzies Jno and Elizth Robertson age 63 place Kyneton ref 2133

There are probate records online for John and Jessie - some are digitised and can be downloaded (free) - sometimes slow to download
http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/inde ... earchid=54 (I think it is only the probate files and not the wills that are digitised). The probate details give the executor details and inventory but not necessarily the beneficiaries as they are listed in the wills. For Jessie, although no will on line the probate file contains a list of beneficiaries paid & the "residual" beneficiary (all seeming to be charities) so covers most of the estate details.

hope this is useful

Trish

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:29 pm

This seems to be the most likely immigration record
MENZIES JOHN 22 DEC 1852 HYDERABAD B 022 005

from unassisted (ie paid his own fare) so unlikely to be much information on the detailed record
http://www.prov.vic.gov.au/indexes/inde ... earchid=23

Trish

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 am

Hello Heidi,

There’s a notice for the 1855 marriage Trish found in the Dundee Courier, Wednesday, January 23, 1856.
MARRIAGES.
At Kyneton, Victoria, Australia, on the 25th September, 1855, John Menzies, Esq., late of Glasgow, to Elizabeth, eldest daughter of the late Mr Andrew Robertson, bater, Longforgan, Perthshire, Scotland.

I’m not sure what ‘bater’ is supposed to mean, place or occupation?

There’s a John Menzies from Kyneton who was a bit of an inventor. I saw him described somewhere as a Cornfactor, which sounds like someone into Grain. There’s all sorts of stuff scattered about amongst this lot, including the marriage notice. http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/se ... es+kyneton

All the best,
Alan

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:18 am

Greetings from NZ

I would read "cornfactor" as the act of being either a commissioned agent in the grain market/ing trade (from farn through to wholesale & retail) OR, an underwriter of/within the trade. Taking a cut, in the supply and demand movement of corn.

Hence "factoring"

Alan SHARP.

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:25 am

Hi Trish and Alan
Came home from work 5 hr. ago - was going to do some house work - Probate orders and old news paper make's fare better intertainment. John seam to be a get up and go man like his brother. There is 2 records there one for John and one posible for Jessie - will have to make contact on Monday to see what they are about - I printed out what I could.
I did find the marridge and death cert. - It had John's parents name on it. So orderd them yesterday.
You both given lots more info - so I will be working through it - lucky my daughter is cooking tonight.

Thankyou Heidi

johnniegarve

Post by johnniegarve » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:37 am

Bater=a Baker, thankfully no Master prefix!

Heidihei

Post by Heidihei » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:48 am

Baker sounds right - tanks Johnnie.
Googling Longforgan, Perthshire - Longforgan, Dundee comes up - is it the same place?
Looking at Family Search the most likley Elizabeth Robertson from Longforgan with a father named Andrew, and beeing the oldest doughter is 10 years older then John Menzies - thise may be way they only had one child. Jessie was also unmarried at the time of her fathers death. So she may never have had any children.