Australian Records Help Please

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish58

Re: Australian Records Help Please

Post by trish58 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:16 am

Thanks Trish

I thought it would have been very hard for someone with such a disability (especially at that time) to make such a venture.

When I first asked for your help I thought it was only Ruth & Ephrain that traveled to Oz, now I find another Sister came out in 1887, Louisa Elizabeth Battersby (nee Lovatt) have found her on rolls from 1905-1937, so now going to look for any other members that I hit a dead end with, seems some are coming back to life \:D/

Thanks-Trish :)
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish58

Post by trish58 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:01 am

Hi Trish

Thought I would let you know I have found lots of info on Ruth's Sister Louisa Elizabeth who arrived in Maryborough in 1887, now have her on all the rolls up to her death, found her death & husbands death, and one call to Maryborough Council this morning gave me her place & date of burial, they also emailed me a plan of where Louis & hubby are buried.told me that when I next visit, give them a call and they will arrange for the cemetery guy to meet me and show me exactly where they are.. Fantastic service from a Council I thought =D> =D> =D>

So now I can't wait to go back to visit my Brother with the sole purpose of grave hunting :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just need to find where Brother Ephrain is buried then kill 3 birds with one stone. Off to look now, will keep you informed. :)

Thanks again Trish 1
From Trish 2
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish1

Post by trish1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:19 pm

I've found many of the Qld councils very helpful - somewhat confused at the minute after the mergers (if you find any council links don't work, usually because of name changes) - but most seem to maintain their cemeteries and the records very well. Nice when it all falls into place.

Trish

trish58

Post by trish58 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:10 pm

Just an update, I am now waiting for the 3 death certificates to arrive for the Lovatt family. Couldn't believe the cost of these certificates $105 ($35 each) but I understand the info is good, hope they arrive before Christmas :) :)

Trish :)

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:59 am

trish58 wrote:Just an update, I am now waiting for the 3 death certificates to arrive for the Lovatt family. Couldn't believe the cost of these certificates $105 ($35 each) but I understand the info is good, hope they arrive before Christmas :) :)

Trish :)
All australian certificates are seriously overpriced - as you may/may not know. NSW and Victoria provide for uncertified options but these are still about $18 - and the cheapest in the country. I find it amazing that we are charged so much to get back the information we provide.

Until recently Qld certificates were taking months - however there has been a dramatic improvement this year - If you order in person they are posted within 24 hours - ordering by mail is quoted as 2 weeks - who knows why the difference - not being able to order online is very frustrating.

I hope they contain what you require - information is similar to the 1855 Scotland certificates - always dependent on the knowledge of the informant. Details have varied over time - these are the headings on a 1929 certificate

Number, When where died, name, occupation, sex and age
Cause of death, duration of last illness, medical attendant who certified, when he last saw deceased
Father - name and occupation, Mother - name and maiden surname
Informant - name, description (usually relationship to deceased), address
Registration details
Burial/Cremation - when, where, by whom certified, minister/witnesses
Where born, time in each Australian state
marriage - where, at what age, to whom
Issue - living names and ages, deceased - number and sex

On a 2010 certificate the only addition/changes
Where born, if not Australia period of residence in Australia (no longer time in each state)
Marital status at time of death - a useful addition
Witnesses to burial/cremation not listed - only the name of Minister - service celebrant seems to be listed for a non religious service

Trish