A Reminder about FreeCen.

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:47 am

This is just a reminder about the great work being done by FreeCen Scotland to transcribe the Scottish Census and make it available free to all of us.

So far nearly four and a half million records have been transcribed being 91% of 1841, 58% of 1851, and 7% of 1861. These transcriptions are far, far, superior to any available from any flavour of Genealogy Inc.

There’s more information here, and you’ll see that they need all the help they can get to complete this most worthy project. http://www.freewebs.com/mmjeffery/index.htm

All the best,
Alan

DavidMK

Re: A Reminder about FreeCen.

Post by DavidMK » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:20 am

i second Alan's posting. As a volunteer transcriber i have found the task very interesting , educational and rewarding, and the results speak for themselves.
David
Kilgour,Cairns,McNaught,Murray.Park,Thomson,Hannah
Cunningham,Marshall,Dun, McCrossan,
McFarlane,McMillan, Connel, Waters.Torley;Scannell;Kean;Howard;Kinsella

mallog

Post by mallog » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Is it as complicated as it appears ?
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Not complicated at all.

It is very rewarding, especially if you can transcribe a parish you have an interest in. Lots of "strays" can be picked up.

Having transcribed the same parish for 3 censuses I get a real feel for the place.

Regards
Jean

mallog

Post by mallog » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 pm

I might have a go then because I have really benefitted from all their work over the years
Anderson, McAlpine, Blue - Argyll
Dunn Fife /ML
Coutts, McGregor - Perth/Govan
Glen, Crow, Imrie - Angus
Scott & Pick ML
Mason - Co Down

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:00 pm

Excellent :D Another recruit.

It's amazing what you can find out apart from what you are looking for.

I am fortunate, in that the areas I was researching were small rural parishes.

What I did find out was that in the space of 10 years families basically never moved, or if they did they were "just up the road" Odd strays were found at neighbouring farms as were their future wives/husbands! So without any family history knowledge you know where and why they met!

You can also gather tit bits from the enumerator! Sometimes they would make a remark on the census form relating to the family or the neighbourhood. These are few and far between but sometimed can be quite informative.

I don't know what age group you fall in to, but it does help if you can read the way I was tought to write! I am over 60. Sometimes the writing is very "flowery" ~Lots of loops and twirly bits!

So glad that Alan''s post has found another volunteer. \:D/

Regards
Jean

kenspeckle

Post by kenspeckle » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:43 am

Its very easy to do and you have a co ordinator to help with any questions I did it till my eyes could not handle due to damage from chemo
its the most exact census as its checked and rechecked what is sofar avail online is brilliant
Lesley
researching : Roddick, Stewart, Combe,Lyle , Wilkie, Budge, Kirkwood,Howat, McKinlay, Gunning, Gumprecht, Mirrlees, Muckersie, Greig, Moncrieff, Pattison, Hornibrook, Teape, Brockhoff,Buchanan,

Roving Lad

Post by Roving Lad » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:53 pm

Since i first saw the post i took a real interest in the thought of voluteering for the project. However, having some problems contacting them at Free Cen.
Thought i'd try to help with the Renfrewshire area as i was brought up in that part. Anywhere else in Scotland would have suited me also, know most of the areas.
The probem is, keep getting back the same answer.
"Could not perform this operation because the mail client is not properly installed'. Any ideas how to rectify this?

A numpty with computers
Roving Lad

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi Roving Lad

Just go to http://www.freewebs.com/mmjeffery/index.htm

Click on the name of the coordinator you want to get in touch with and away you go!
Regards
Jean

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:44 am

Hello Roving Lad,

You can sometimes get messages like that if you don’t have an email program installed on your computer and access your email in another way.

If the links on the page Jean posted still don’t work for you try right clicking the link and click the copy email address option if it’s there. Next go to wherever you send emails from and paste into the ‘to’ section by holding down the ‘ctrl’ key and pressing the ‘v’ key on your keyboard.

Bob will then hopefully be your uncle, and you'll be able to type in a message.

Alan