My David Mitchell again

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

nelmit

My David Mitchell again

Post by nelmit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:30 pm

My biggest brick wall to keep you all going.

David Mitchell married Agnes Speed in September 1890 at Dundee. He gives his age as 22.

I found them no problem in 1891 and 1901 living at Dundee where David gives his birthplace as Lochee, Angus. In 1911 Agnes is with the children at Dundee while David was working in Glasgow - haven't found him though. The family moved to Glasgow where David died in 1930. Agnes then moved back to Dundee. Agnes's family have been no problem and I've been able to follow them back with evidence to the mid 18th century.

On David's marriage and death entry his parents are given as James Mitchell, Engine Tenter and Eliza Hood. No birth nor marriage to be found. No death of an Eliza Hood/ Mitchell either. In a poorhouse application I recently found at The Mitchell David gives his parents as James Mitchell, Weaver and Eliza Mahood and confirms the birthplace as Lochee.

When I first asked for help as a complete novice over 10 years ago on the old forum I had looked at the birth entry of who I was sure was my David but the mother's name was Margaret Blair although the father looked plausible - James Mitchell, Engine Fitter, John McCurdie pointed out a very interesting coincidence birth on the entry below where the mother's name was Eliza Mahood. The name of this child was Thomas Mooney.

I have never been able to find anything about Thomas Mooney after 1881.

This Eliza/Lizzie Hood/Mahood depending what record you view went on to have another 2 children - George and Charles Crichton. I can't find my entry for George (who died when he was 2) but Charles was definitely illegitimate.

So..................After spending fortunes looking at all possibilities and following different families through the records I have come to the conclusion that my other half's g grandfather David Mitchell was born Thomas Mooney but how can I possibly prove it!! ](*,) ](*,)

Wee coincidences - David's witness at marriage was a William Campbell - Eliza Mooney junior married a William Campbell in 1880. Against that is William Campbell is a very common name and I'm sure it would be quite unusual for a married man to be a witness unless his wife was the other one.

Eliza Hood/Mahood had an illegitimate son called Charles Crichton - David Mitchell named one of his younger sons Charles Crichton Mitchell. Again though Charles Crichton is a pretty common name.

So there we have it -any questions ask away as I don't think there will be many I can't answer except the big one- who was David Mitchell????

regards,
Annette
Last edited by nelmit on Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SandySandilands

Re: My David Mitchell again

Post by SandySandilands » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 pm

My first thought was that Thomas Mooney might have been raised by a family named Mitchell. I've come across instances where a child from a large family was taken in by another family and simply chose to adopt the family name. This wouldn't explain why he changed his first name though. Possibly the family had lost one of their own children and David was a middle name even though it did not appear on the birth entry?

Just a stab in the dark but if they are the same person there must have been a reason for the change. Don't you just love these brick walls? lol

Sandy

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Just trying to get a handle on this.

In 1881 Lizzie Hood/Eliza Mahood, aged 40 (born, Ireland) is living as a housekeeper in South Church Street Lochee
with Hannah Mooney (19), John Mooney (17) Mary Mooney (15) Thomas Mooney (13) and Charles Crighton (2).

Is this them and have you looked for the birth records of Hannah, John and Mary to see if anything rings a bell?
As John appears to sit in the middle of siblings, there may be a clue on their bmd records.
No death of an Eliza Hood/ Mitchell either.
On Ancest, there's a tree with Eliza Mahood and these children in. The tree holder has a death for her in Lochee in August 1911. But I'm wondering whether she found it under the name Eliza Mooney.

Regards
Ann

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Sandy,

Thomas Mooney lived with Eliza till at least 1881. Till very recently I discounted his family completely mainly because of the fact that to change a surname is common but to change a first name too is not very likely. The poorhouse record I saw recently made me have a rethink when David named his mother as Eliza Mahood and not Hood as in his marriage. Unfortunately he did not give his dob in the application. :x
My bizarre theory is .......he was told at some point his father was actually James Mitchell and not James Mooney (Eliza's husband who incidentally did not die till 1871 - so another thing against) and then gave himself the same name as James Mitchell's son who was born a few days after him...............I know it's very far fetched but I've almost convinced myself that it's the only explanation.
The Mooney family and the Mitchell family lived just along the road from each other.

Anne,

Yes I've seen that tree and it is the right family. Eliza was registered as Elizabeth Moon/Mahood when she died. Don't have the entry to hand but If I remember correctly it was her daughter Eliza Campbell who registered it.

Here's a few records to look at. http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/ae89 ... 0Mitchell/

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:37 am

I cannot find my original post but here is a summary of the brick wall that I have never been able to solve.

I'm 'bumping' this one up for TS 15th Birthday. :D

Best wishes,
Annette