Surprise find

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

StewL

Surprise find

Post by StewL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:00 am

I have been offline for a while, and after getting a new ISP, I decided to get back to some family history searching.
I was looking at one of my collateral rellies (James Barton b1883).
So I had a look at his marriage to Margaret Peters, lo and behold, one of those gems. On the same page was the marriage of Robert Stewart to Bethea Williamson Barton daughter of James Barton and Isabella Williamson. So two for the price of one :D If my calculations are right they would be cousins.
They were married 3 & 4 Jan.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

Russell

Re: Surprise find

Post by Russell » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:49 am

Hi Stewie

When a gem like that turns up it is hold your breath time until you furiously scrabble through your paperwork to convince yourself that it is indeed your rellies.
I had that when a death certificate turned up where all three entries had the same name - Isabella Watson - One was my direct line, the other adult was from a branch two or three generations back and the child was no relation whatsoever. It made me realise how common certain names were in small isolated communities.
I wonder if it is this kind of 'eureka' moment that keeps us so committed to our searching?

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

SandySandilands

Post by SandySandilands » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Golden moments :D

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:32 am

Thanks Russell and Sandi
Yes it was a golden moment, the Bethea Williamson Barton was the clincher that linked it, as Williamson was her mothers maiden name.
Recently I have spent most of my searching time on the collatral rellies, as I have as much as I can get at this stage with my direct lines. I have her in the 1891 census as a stepchild to Jane Barton (Jeannie Sleet), the second wife of James Barton. Both her parents were dead before the 1891 Census. James Barton's death cause is listed as "can't certify".
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson