Ships from Genoa Italy to Scotland

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Re: Ships from Genoa Italy to Scotland

Post by Currie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:42 am

Hello Maggie,

If you search the edition of The Times for Thursday, Jun 26, 1873, for the word MISSING you’ll find a list of missing vessels and included in that is: “The Austerlitz, of Malta, sailed from Swansea for Malta on the 30th January with coal, and has not since been heard of.”

Also in the Daily News (London), Tuesday, November 5, 1867 there’s a brief mention that the Austerlitz sailed from Liverpool for Malta on November 2.

The Liverpool Mercury etc, Friday, December 3, 1869 has the Austerlitz sailing for Malta December 1. Masters name appears to be Vella of Velfa.

The Western Mail (Cardiff), Tuesday, April 11, 1871 has her Cleared from the Port of Cardiff – April 10 “Austerlitz, B, Malta, 902 coal, D. Davis & Sons.”

The D. Davis & Sons possibly refers to the owners of the cargo
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Co ... html#Davis

Sounds like a typical loose cargo coal ship disappearance possibly caused by fire from spontaneous combustion or of foundering because of a list caused by shifting cargo.

If you want the images to any of those just send me a PM with an email address.

You seem to be getting somewhere slowly so keep up the good work.

All the best,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm

Alan

Thank you for that information I have now found The Times article. On the Ships Register he was the Captain from 1870. I have sent you a PM for a copy of The Western Mail Article.

Is it possible to carry out a search to try and find out if The Edith ever docked in Scotland say in the 1880 to the sinking in 1898/9? Seeing the Foreign Arrivals in The Times, I have tried but with no success.

As you say I am getting there slowly, if I could obtain Captain Lando's certificate no. would be a big help.

Thanks again

Maggie

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Maggie,

I’d say it would be quite a big job to attempt to find something in the newspapers about the ship docking in a Scottish Port especially considering how common both names were.

Were you after the certificate number for Giovanni? See the L page on this site, there appears to be a number there, or is that the one you have? http://www.history.ac.uk/gh/capintro.htm

Alan

LATER: I don't think I received the PM.
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Alan

I had found that and we have been to London to get a copy of the original document, hoping to get more information on the Certificate as we had been told that it should show his personnel information, but with no luck.

I have sent a private PM.

Maggie
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Sun May 05, 2013 1:16 pm

At long last I have got some more information.
I believe that the relative of my ancestor John Lando may be Giovanni Lando who went to Biggar to search for him according to an aunt years ago.
Giovanni Lando was at the Port Of Glasgow on 5 February 1866 (it looks like February) according to a Certificate No. 84-124 issued Cork in 1866.
He was a Boy on the “Febo” from August 1843 to February 1845.
Then an Ordinary Seaman on the “Febo” from February 1845 to January 1846.
He was then a Mate on the “Regente” from February 1853 till November 1866
Giovanni Lando was baptised in1831 at Moneglia (next to Genoa). I have also all the baptisms at the Church but sadly there is no mention of my John Lando.

Is it possible to search to see if Giovanni was at Port of Glasgow between 1843-46 on the vessel “Febo” and what was his cargo? I wonder if he was carrying China that was for the Polletti family in Biggar.
Hoping someone can help or put me on the right track.
Maggie

Family names, Lando, Turley, Finlayson, Yeoman, Pollock, French, Renwick, Watson, Pollock, Fell, Marchbanks, Greenshields

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun May 05, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Maggie,
Are you sure the Giovanni you found isn't, in fact, your John? Since English John = Giovanni in Italian...

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 06, 2013 4:56 am

Hello Maggie,

Lloyd’s Registers of British and Foreign Shipping are available here. I can’t see the Febo listed for that time period, but perhaps that doesn’t really mean anything much seeing it's a foreign ship. http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-register.html

There is a Febo on Lloyd’s 1836 list, but it shows as “Lost”.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=lTo ... CDoQ6AEwAA

The following is all I could find in the newspapers:

The Morning Post (London), Thursday, June 23, 1842
Liverpool, June 22. Arrived – Febo, Martino, from Naples.

The Morning Post (London, Wednesday, July 20, 1842
Liverpool. July 19. Entered for Loading – Febo, Martino, for Messina and Palermo.

Caledonian Mercury (Edinburgh), Monday, November 6, 1848
Naples, Oct. 1.—The Febo, from Naples to Gioja, to load for the United Kingdom, was wrecked between 11th and 14th September.

All the best,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Mon May 06, 2013 9:27 am

maggiehill wrote:My ancestor was John Lando who left Italy aged 14, he was in Biggar aged 15, in 1851. John Lando’s father was in the Merchant Navy, as was his brother; John was a stowaway on board the ship from Genoa.
We deduced it seems likely that knew the Poletti family were living in Biggar at the time. On 1871 Census the Poletti family were China Merchants and carried on the trade for many years.
In the late 1890's could be earlier we have been told that a Ships Captain possibly John Lando's brother arrived in Biggar to try to find his brother but with no luck, the family were also told that a ship’s captain was in Biggar looking for John but they did not get to Biggar in time. John's brother was probably on the ship supplying china to the Poletti family.
Hi Sarah
I know that John and Giovanni are the same in Italy. Perhaps my John had another Christian name which was changed to John. Giovanni Lando. On the Lloyds List Captain Giovanni Lando born 1833 who obtained his certificate in Cork in 1866 but sadly his ship The Austerlitz went missing in 25/26 June 1873 and next to his name is DEAD.

Hi Alan
Thanks for those links, I believe the first 2 are too early as John as 15 on the 1851 Census. The last one is a possibility if I could find out where the Febo was wrecked.

The Febo registration no. was 26748, it was a sail ship of weight 414 tons.Registered Port Malta
The Regente registration no. was 30133, it was a sail ship of weight 301 tons.Registered Port Malta

Alan it could help me and probably most other grey members if you could give the information that is required to search the old newspapers.

Regards
Maggie
Maggie

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon May 06, 2013 3:15 pm

Hello Maggie, just a few more scraps. There seem to have been a few Febo’s floating about. Maybe there's something useful there.

There’s something in this book about a sailor from the Febo being charged with insubordination at Alexandria in 1844. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=knA ... ta&f=false

In Parliamentary Papers: "1867 [3921] Report on the sanitary condition of Malta and Gozo with reference to the epidemic cholera in the year 1865."
List of vessels arrived in quarantine at Malta from ports affected or suspected of cholera.
Sept. 30, 1865, Febo 383 tons, from Constantinople, 5 days in quarantine, crew of 15.
Sep. 19, 1866, Febo 383 tons, from Constantinople, 5 days in quarantine, crew of 14.

There’s also mention in PPs of an Austrian brig called Febo. It was reported for transporting four girl slaves. Captain was Zaar.

If your Febo was No. 26748 then it presumably wasn’t the one wrecked in 1848, because, in the Mercantile Navy List for 1867 is: Febo, 415 tons, 26748, from Malta, owned by Salvatore Azzopardi, Valetta, Malta. http://books.google.com.au/books?id=jOo ... ta&f=false

You’ll find the Regente and its Captain Angelo Marengo in there as well. Looks like Ancestry has Masters Certificate info for Angelo.

This slow loading pdf from Malta National Archives has info about insurance taken out on the Regente for various voyages. See folders 12, 13, 14, 15 and also 22 and 23 re the Austerlitz. Nice sketch of a Brigantine at the end. https://secure2.gov.mt/nationalarchives ... it%201.pdf

I wrote something not long ago about searching newspapers. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17244&p=138597&hili ... ds#p138597

All the best,
Alan

maggiehill

Post by maggiehill » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

Currie
Thanks for all the links I dont know where you find them. The link about The House of Commons Papers, sailor from the Febo being charged with insubordination at Alexandria in 1844 makes very interesting but I do not think there is a connection.

I have now got Angelo Marengo Masters Certificate showing his service. He was the Captain on both the Febo and Regente when Giovanni Lando was on board both as a boy, ordinary seaman and mate.

The Insurance Policy document is also interesting especially the sketch of the Brigantine.

I think I should concentrate now on the 1849-51 period. The reason for this being the family story that John Lando was a stowaway on a ship when he was 14 and a family member was involved. There was a need for him to get out of Italy quickly for some reason. I do not know what he got up too, except that one of his parents was British and he was 15 on the 1851 Census. I will have to find if there is any information about crimes in Italy during that period probably on the Italian Genealogy Forum.

Yes I had seen your method of searching newspapers but as usual forgot about it.

Maggie
Maggie