Intelligence Corps (British Army)

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

carolineasb

Intelligence Corps (British Army)

Post by carolineasb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 pm

Hi,

Just hoping someone on here has knowledge of the above Corps.

I'm wondering whether it would be normal for a Corporal in the above Corps to be promoted to 2nd Lt under "Immediate Emerg Commns" which I take to mean Immediate Emergency Commissions? This was on 11th June 1946.

Thanks

Caroline

Currie

Re: Intelligence Corps (British Army)

Post by Currie » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:23 am

Hello Caroline,

I don’t know anything about the Intelligence Corps.

A search for the phrase “immediate emergency” in the London Gazette brings up 250 results between 1943 and 1947, and they all appear to be from the ranks. I haven’t checked to see if that is the number of individual soldiers or if some are lists. There appear to be a variety of ranks promoted including privates. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... st/start=1

A search for “immediate emerg” produces another 279 between 1945 and 1948. http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/ ... st/start=1

There are probably a stack of others depending on what abbreviation was fashionable at the time. Seems the scheme was operating as early as 1939. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2 ... 49,2189841

Obviously he was smarter than the average soldier and probably the average officer.

All the best,
Alan

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:05 pm

He was highly intelligent, Alan, but sadly lost at the age of 42 after packing so much into his life.

He spoke Arabic and Persian and had won prizes at school for Latin and Greek. He went into Law after the Army and rose quickly in that field too. I can't say a lot on here as his passing was relatively recent in the 60s.

I'll have to have a nosey in newspaper archives to see exactly what was going on around the time of his promotion.

Thanks,

Caroline

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:54 am

Hi

Wasn't the Palestine conflict on the go at the time, would help if he was fluent in arabic.

Yours Aye
BruceL

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:49 am

Hi Bruce,

After a bit more searching after my first post, I noted that there were big problems in Palestine at that time and I think it is possible he was there.

Thanks

Caroline

PS I have a Leckie in my Tree who married into my Tannahill family.

StewL

Post by StewL » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 am

Hi Caroline
Just my two bobs worth. :D
Given the time (1946) and his fluentness in Arabic and Persian.
I would say that it would be highly unlikely that a person of his skills and intelligence was not given a commission in the Intelligence Corps.
History at this time points of major upheavals in the middle east and near east, where his skills would be highly sought after.
Sometimes the military gets it right :D
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

q98

Post by q98 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Carolineasb
Just discovered your enquiry this evening. Having spent my adult life in Intelligence (RAAF), I concur with StewL and Alan.
As a boy, my Dad taught me German (forgotten most it though) which Scots excel at due to the gutteral sounds both nationalities are capable of making, then I married an Italian and learned a dialect. I emigrated to Australia and joined the RAAF where my linguistic skills were tested. Based upon the results, I was selected to undergo a far-eastern language course.

Therefore, I do not doubt an individual with skills in 4 languages, was promoted to Commissioned Officer. Linguistic skills remain highly sought-after in military service.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

q98

Post by q98 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:32 pm

Hi Carolineasb
Just discovered your enquiry this evening. Having spent my adult life in Intelligence (RAAF), I concur with StewL and Alan.
As a boy, my Dad taught me German (forgotten most it though) which Scots excel at due to the gutteral sounds both nationalities are capable of making, then I married an Italian and learned a dialect. I emigrated to Australia and joined the RAAF where my linguistic skills were tested. Based upon the results, I was selected to undergo a far-eastern language course.

Therefore, I do not doubt an individual with skills in 4 languages, was promoted to Commissioned Officer. Linguistic skills remain highly sought-after in military service.
q98
32 00 S 115 45 E

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi folks,

Thanks for your input.

Oddly, myself, my Father and my Grandfather had slightly better skills in French and German, but this chap, my Uncle had the Middle Eastern language skills. He probably also had skills in French and German but they were never mentioned. My French language skills have sadly pretty well gone because most of my foreign holidays have been in Germany so I have retained more German.

I have since found a letter from my Uncle to my Grandparents at the time where he discusses things like his commission, having his new uniform made up and feeling odd having people salute him.

Regards

Carolineasb