Master Mariner's death - John Campbell

Fisherman, Merchant vessels, Emigrant ships etc.

Moderator: Global Moderators

clancam

Master Mariner's death - John Campbell

Post by clancam » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:23 am

I'm searching for place and date of death of my GGF, John Campbell
He was born at Longleys Perthshire in 1826 and went to sea quite early.
John earned his Masters certificate at Dundee in May 1854 serving on a number of ships
until his ship "The Duke" ON15028 was wrecked in the West Indies January 1867.
All the crew survived and although he renewed his Masters Certificate in Liverpool in September of 1867
I can find no trace of any activity beyond that date.
He was listed with his family in the 1871 UK Census Liverpool and later the family migrated to
Australia in 1878. Have searched high and low in the Liverpool UK area and here in Australia and cannot find any trace of him.
Hope someone can help me.
Kind regards
clancam

LesleyB

Re: Master Mariner's death - John Campbell

Post by LesleyB » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi clancam

When the family left for Australia in 1878, was John Campbell with them?

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 pm

Greetings.

Have you tried searching through the hits on the NZ National Library site http://www.paperspast.natlib.govt.nz It is surprising what the NZ papers published, about what was happening in the world at large, though in your case the large number of John CAMPBELL's on the go, at any one time, is a handicap. Especially so as one Sir John CAMPBELL was at the forefront of Auckland's developing history. That said, there are excellent refine tools options associated with this site, so it could be worth a play around.

Alan SHARP

PS. Thought a look at NZ historical deaths 1881 - 1922 for Mary Ann CAMPBELL as it might be easier than looking for John CAMPBELL, and to my surprise found EIGHT deaths recorded for women of that name. Best of LUCK with your research.

clancam

Post by clancam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:18 am

LesleyB wrote:Hi clancam

When the family left for Australia in 1878, was John Campbell with them?
Hi LesleyB,
John Campbell was not with the family on the 1878 voyage, as per the shipping list.
Thanks for your interest.
Kind regards
clancam

clancam

Post by clancam » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:21 am

Alan SHARP wrote:Greetings.

Have you tried searching through the hits on the NZ National Library site http://www.paperspast.natlib.govt.nz It is surprising what the NZ papers published, about what was happening in the world at large, though in your case the large number of John CAMPBELL's on the go, at any one time, is a handicap. Especially so as one Sir John CAMPBELL was at the forefront of Auckland's developing history. That said, there are excellent refine tools options associated with this site, so it could be worth a play around.

Alan SHARP

PS. Thought a look at NZ historical deaths 1881 - 1922 for Mary Ann CAMPBELL as it might be easier than looking for John CAMPBELL, and to my surprise found EIGHT deaths recorded for women of that name. Best of LUCK with your research.
Hi Alan,
Have searched paperspast NZ though not for awhile. Will re-visit. Mary Ann Campbell re-married in Sydney Australia in 1886 and died in 1910 in Victoria.
Thanks for your help.
Regards
clancam
Barry

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:16 am

There are a few John Campbells who died in the Liverpool area who die between 1871 -1878 on free BMD (www.freebmd.org.uk)- difficult with the name to know if any are relevant or not. Easier if he'd had a middle name!

e.g.
Deaths Dec 1872
Campbell John 52 Liverpool 8b 61

Deaths Sep 1874
CAMPBELL John 48 Liverpool 8b 189 - this one looks bang on the age you'd expect.

But you have maybe checked these out already - they may not be your man.

Best wishes
Lesley

clancam

Post by clancam » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:32 am

HI lesleyb,
Thanks for your reply.
The one you say 'bang on' Paid for a certificate fort hat one, but
alas he wasn't mine.
Will re-check the other one you mentioned on FreeBMD.
Kind regards
clancam