Looking for info on Kilvington Family of Ilkley, Yorkshire

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

Aodh

Looking for info on Kilvington Family of Ilkley, Yorkshire

Post by Aodh » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:43 pm

Thomas Kilvington b. 1875 at Leeds, Yorkshire, m. Dec 26 1898 Grace Clarkson b. 1869 at Silsden, Yorkshire. Their daughter Minnie, b. 1899 was entrusted to the Middlemore Homes and came to Canada in 1906. I'm trying to find out more about Minnie's ancestors.
Thomas appears to be the son of Thomas Kilvington and Sophia Spink while Grace is the daughter of Thomas Clarkson and Isabella Clark. I wonder if there is a site similar to TalkingScot for England where i can post queries or is it Ok to do so here. I don't believe they were Scots. Any and all help welcome.
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

StewL

Re: Looking for info on Kilvington Family of Ilkley, Yorkshi

Post by StewL » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:27 am

Hello Aodh
I am not very familiar with English family history, except that I believe searching is done through ancestry.
It looks like Minnie was one of the "Home Children" and there is a good chance her parent really had no idea she was sent to Canada.
There is an excellent book called "Empty Cradles" written by Margaret Humphrey's about the "Home Children" well worth a read.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 am

I see Minnie on the list of Home Children arriving in Canada right enough. :( :(

Both families are easy enough to find on census records - all born and bred in Yorkshire. You can view census records at Ancestry or Find My Past at a price. You can check indexes for BMDs at FREE BMD. It's pretty costly as far as I know to buy certificates to confirm details.

Somebody with more knowledge of English records will be along soon I'm sure.

Regards,
Annette

trish1

Post by trish1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:28 am

There are numerous sites for searching and discussing English ancestors - but if you are interested in doing your own searches for your family - and are willing to pay a fee - Ancestry is probably the quickest place to start. You can take a 2 week sub for free - or pay monthly if you don't want a year's subscription.

Both census data and parish records for the west riding of Yorkshire are online at ancestry. You look to have some of the following information - which I quickly found. A single parish marriage record from GRO probably costs the same as a month's ancestry subscription - so if you have a number of marriages in WRY - the subscription starts to look cheap.

1901 Census RG13/4067 140/9 Yorkshire (west riding) Guiseley
Shaw Lane
Tom Kilvington head M 26 Casual Farm Labourer Yorks Leeds
Grace do wife M 34 -- do Lilsden
Edie H Clarkson step dau 7 -- do Ilkley
Minnie do Kilvington dau 2 -- do Ilkley

The marriage of Tom and Grace
Dec 26 1898 - Tom 26, carter father Thomas Kilvington Carter; Grace 30 father Thomas Clarkson, Carter
witnesses Emily Turner, Wm H Harper

Freebdm is here
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
with the birth of Minnie
Birth Jun 1899 Kilvington Minnie Wharfedale 9a 156
This one is probably Edie H.
Birth Sep 1895 Clarkson Edith Holden Wharfedale 9a 148
(If Grace was a single mother, the Holden may indicate the name of Edie's father - or it may be a family name)

There is a baptism for a Hanby Kilvington - parents given as John (May be a mis-hearing of Tom) and Grace - Oct 4 1900 in Ilkley - corresponding birth & death in Dec Qtr 1900 on FreeBDM
There are baptism records for some of the children of Thomas & Sophia - Ah - I just found Thomas among them - incorrectly indexed as Tom Roberton! baptized April 18 1875, Christ Church Leeds

From FreeBDM Thomas & Sophia married in the Gt. Ouseburn district - which is on the WRY border but I can't find their marriage in the WRY parish records. I'll keep looking

This is a good site for English links
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/
Select your county - Yorkshire on the LHS - leads to this one
http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/

I have also found family search very good for pre civil registration records on Yorkshire.

If you have any specific queries do post them - My folks came to Australia in the 18th & 19th century - from England, Scotland and Ireland. None from Yorkshire - but my husband had a Yorkshire ancestor - arrived here on the 1st fleet 1788 (convict). Many TS researchers have ancestors from across the British Isles.

Aodh

Post by Aodh » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:59 am

This is great Trish - Thank-you very much.
Researching:
MacInnis, MacKay, MacLean - Isle of Rum
MacKinnon, MacLean, MacMillan, Campbell - Isle of Muck
MacIsaac - Isle of Canna
Sommerville, Gordon, Neilson, Penman - Midlothian
Quigley - Bothwell, Monklands, McCairney - Glasgow
and many more!

Grendlsmother

Post by Grendlsmother » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:45 pm

"Lilsden" is probably Silsden - very near to Ilkley.
Main lines: McCormick(mack); Connel; Others: McDonald; McFadzean; Brown; Kerr and many more