WW1 ICRC POW records

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

HeatherH
Global Moderator

WW1 ICRC POW records

Post by HeatherH » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:20 am

Now accessible on line The International Committee of the Red Cross WW1 POW records.

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

free

It took a wee bit to figure out how to access the records I was searching for, but once I did I was able to see the actual document, I could magnify, download or print.
There is a very good guide also.

Good luck everyone.
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

car

Re: WW1 ICRC POW records

Post by car » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:12 am

Thanks for that Heather. :) Away to see if I can find my grandmother's brother.

Christine

car

Post by car » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 am

Heather - I found my grandmother's brother. We knew that he had been taken prisoner at Albert on 27 March 1918. Sadly he died on 9 August 1918 and is buried at Le Quesnoy Communal Cemetery. I would presume he was in a prisoner of war camp nearby.

I couldn't see anything that would appear to be the name of the camp-did I miss something? I think I will go back and have another look.

Thank you again for letting us know about this site.

Regards

Christine

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:22 pm

AMAZING!
I found my Grandfather - we knew he was a POW but couldn't find any records, and he never talked of his army days. and his POW letter from the king vanished.

Now I need to find out the translation of the headings to see what the info actually means.
Wilma

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:41 am

Was your Great Uncle in the Navy.... Le Quesnoy Communal Cemetery is in Nord and I found this camp near by....Marlag und Milag Nord Westertimke. It was for Allied seamen was run by the Kriegsmarine independently of the Army.
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.