Scotsman

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Scotsman

Post by Dennis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Did there used to be a free access to The Scotsman?
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Scotsman

Post by AndrewP » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:24 pm

Hi Dennis,

The short answer is "no" if you are trying The Scotsman Archives (1817-1950). That is (in my opinion) an expensive site.

However, you may find a library service that can get free access to The Scotsman Archives (1817-1950). As a resident of the City of Edinburgh, I can access these archives online free of charge if going in via the City of Edinburgh Council libraries' website, and logging in using my library ticket number. I have no idea which other libraries may offer this service, either in the UK or overseas.

All the best,

AndrewP

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi AndrewP. Its been quite a while since I started getting back to the tree; we bought a house back in 2012 and have been busy with renos. I had noticed on Facebook that there is a Gallpen Family, based in Australia, and that got me thinking about where I had managed to get info about the Gallpens on my tree. I see on here I was referencing The Scotsman for that info; I think I may have lost some of the documents I had acquired when we moved (mores the pity).

regards. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:13 am

As far as I remember they used to do some kind of free access (24hrs??) stunt on St Andrews day or thereabouts, (or was it Burns Day?), so maybe keep an eye on it just incase.....

Norman Downs

Post by Norman Downs » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:20 pm

You can also access this archive free if you register online with the National Library of Scotland.
http://www.nls.uk/

Only thing is you need to have an address in Scotland. They enforce this by sending out your registration details by post.

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:28 pm

When it had free access did you have to type 'infomarks' or something like that?