Help needed in filling in details - WILKIEs in Glasgow

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

bkw1962

Help needed in filling in details - WILKIEs in Glasgow

Post by bkw1962 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Hello to all...
I've hit a wall in finding information regarding my GGGranddad William WILKIE, b. Apr 1859. Per his marriage information from 1885, he married my GGGrandmother Sophia MARLIN in Coatbridge on Jun 19. They lived next door to each other at 9 and 10 Porch Row, Cuilhill, respectively. His father was James WILKIE and his mother, deceased at the time of the wedding, was Mary MORROW WILKIE. Sophia's parents were James MARLIN and Sarah MCLEAN MARLIN. William was a miner and Sophia was a farm servant. William's dad was a colliery labourer and Sophia's dad was a brick work labourer. John and Jane WILKIE were witnesses to the wedding.

What I need is confirmation of his birth location, which I BELIEVE is Cardross, Dumbartonshire based on deduction, and any information on HIS father James and mother Mary.

Thanks to all - wonderful site!

Brian Keith Wilkie, Sr.

nelmit

Re: Help needed in filling in details - WILKIEs in Glasgow

Post by nelmit » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:47 pm

Hello and welcome to Talking Scot Brian,

There is a William Wilkie birth indexed at Scotlands People in 1857 at Cardross. I see he is 3 years of age in the 1861 census so this would fit.

Here is the index at Family Search.
Name: William Wilkie
Birth Date: 25 Apr 1857
Birthplace: CARDROSS,DUNBARTON,SCOTLAND
Father's Name: James Wilkie
Mother's Name: Mary Murray

I am sure this will be the correct birth. Unfortunately the date and place of his parents marriage won't appear but it will on his sister Sarah's entry in 1872.

Pretty sure this will be them from Family Search-

James Wilkin
mentioned in the record of James Wilkin and Mary Morrow
Name: James Wilkin
Spouse's Name: Mary Morrow
Event Date: 16 Oct 1845
Event Place: 0309,Dromore Parish,Tyrone,Ireland
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M70161-7 , System Origin: Ireland-ODM , GS Film number: 101271

I'm going to leave this post for the moment but I'm not so sure I have the correct family in 1861.

Regards,
Annette

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:42 pm

Here is the family (I think) of James Wilkie and Mary Morrow at Anderston in 1861 -

James Wilkie 33 b Ireland
Mary Wilkie 31 b Ireland
David Wilkie 13 b Ireland
Isabella Wilkie 9 b Ireland
Matilda Wilkie 6 born Cardross
Mary Wilkie 5 born Cardross
William Wilkie 3 born Cardross

They are still at Anderston in 1871 where William's age is 14 (with a few more children including a John and a Jane)

It would appear they had triplets born in 1860 who didn't survive. :(

There is a death indexed at Scotlands People at Bonhill of a Mary Wilkie/Murray in 1875 that may be worth a look.

A few wee anomalies :? in what I think is correct .........I wish I could find them in later census records.

Fairly sure I have found William's sister Jane married to John MCord and living at Coatbridge in 1891. Matilda's daughter is visiting.

I really must stop now my head is going round in circles.

Regards,
Annette

bkw1962

Post by bkw1962 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:50 pm

Thank you Annette! You are a bonnie lass for sure! I have seen mentions of both of these lines and they indeed make MY head go 'round. :roll: The puzzling thing is that I have William's and Sophia's actual marriage certificate that lists his mom's last name clearly as Morrow, not Murray - and her signature for same. The 1857 vs. 1859 thing is common....Census folks seemed to have trouble with math - or caring that they got it right! ](*,)
Last edited by bkw1962 on Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:24 pm

The puzzling thing is that I have William's and Sophia's actual marriage certificate that lists his mom's last name clearly as Morrow, not Murray - and her signature for same
The marriage certificate information is taken from a separate schedule that was signed by the couple and witnesses etc at the place of the marriage, they didn't [ unlike births & deaths] actually sign the book. So there is room for some error to creep in.
Particularly in the case of different accents - Murray in an Irish accent could easily be taken for Morrow to Scot, and as she was deceased at the time of the marriage wasn't around to correct it [so it's not her signature either]
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:56 pm

There is no doubt in my mind that Mary Morrow and Mary Murray are one and the same.

As for William's age - having a young wife may have encouraged him to shed a couple of years just like his dad in 1881. :)

In 1881 at 15 Store Row, Cuilhill there is this family -

James Wilkie 40 b Ireland
Annie Wilkie 39 b Paisley
Jane Wilkie 16 b Glasgow
John Wilkie 10 b Glasgow

James Wilkie married Ann Beaton in 1878 - I am fairly sure that this is William's Father.

In 1881 at 9 Store Row, Cuilhill there is this family -

James Marlin 50
Sarah Marlin 39
Sophia Marlin 15
Grace Marlin 13
Alexander Marlin 10
Sarah Marlin 7
Mary Marlin 4
Elizabeth Marlin 2

A look at the original census record at SP should hopefully find them on the same page.

A very distant relation of yours has posted at TS before. viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3259

Regards,
Annette

bkw1962

Post by bkw1962 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:31 pm

Wow. I stand in the shadow of greatness! Thank you, Annette. Looking forward to adding these details into my Ancestry.com tree!

Cheers!
Brian