Schoolar.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

margrace

Schoolar.....

Post by margrace » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:52 am

My my 4 greats grandmother was Janet Schoolar who married John Carruthers of Howcleaugh. I know nothing else about her and can find nothing in the Mormon site. She is listed as being from Lockerbie and was born in Feb 1766 and died 7 March 1834.

Has anyone any information on this lady, her daughter Janet married my 3rd greatgrandfather Robert Irving of Stockbridgehill.

I am also looking for info on that farm since I know it is still operational. It is assumed that Roberts father was a renter, is that what they were called, and perhaps had a small holding

Janet and Robert had a small farm Called Quaas Loaming, which in now under the four lane highway at Lockerbie.

Any info on any of these people would be welcome, I do have all of Robert and Janets info but little of his fathers.

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:23 am

Hello Margrace and welcome to TalkingScot...

Finding more info on your Schoolar clan might be a tad difficult as you are well back into the 1700's. The records that have survived from this time period even if they ever existed are incomplete at best. A random search of the 1881 census for anyone named Schoolar born Lockerbie reveals one family with the head being born abt 1848. Possible he is a descendant but would be hard work to prove a link. This is his family on the 1881 census:

Dwelling: Windshields
Census Place: Hutton, Dumfries, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0224049 GRO Ref Volume 831 EnumDist 1 Page 5
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James SCHOOLAR M 33 M Lockerbie, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Mason
Margaret SCHOOLAR M 29 F Lockerbie, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Margaret SCHOOLAR 8 F Galt (Brit Subject), Canada
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Elizabeth SCHOOLAR 5 F Lockerbie, Dumfries, Scotland
Occ: Scholar
Catherine SCHOOLAR 1 F Lockerbie, Dumfries, Scotland

Just for the sake of curiosity here is the family who was residing at Stockbridge Hill farm in 1881:

Dwelling: Stockbridge Hill
Census Place: Middlebie, Dumfries, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0224050 GRO Ref Volume 841 EnumDist 5 Page 7
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James MURRAY U 28 M Middlebie, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: Farmer Of 160 Acres Of Which 80 Are Arable Employing 1 Man & 1 Boy
Annie MURRAY U 21 F Middlebie, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Sister
Occ: Housekeeper
Mary ARMSTRONG M 37 F Middlebie, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Sister
Occ: Farmers Wife (Visitor)
James John ARMSTRONG 1 M Hoddom, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Nephew
John BELL U 21 M Lochmaben, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Servant
Occ: Agricultural Labourer
John BELL U 18 M Dryfesdale, Dumfries, Scotland
Rel: Servant
Occ: Agricultural Labourer

and even better....from a Google search this appears to be the current owners....

J and M Sloan
Stockbridgehill
Middlebie
Lockerbie
DG11 3JZ
Dumfries and Galloway
Tel: 01576 710209

Hope you find some more links or persons researching the same surnames!

Best wishes
Jean

margrace

Schoolar

Post by margrace » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:58 am

Hi JustJean, thank you for the information. I have a picture of Stockbridgehall. I was there at this time last year. Is there a history of owners of farms?

Janet Schoolar continues to evade me. I have most of the information on her children. Janet was living at Breckonhill Farm when My janet was born. I do know who owns it now.

Thanks

elna

Re: Schoolar.....

Post by elna » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Hello,

Have just been doing some research of my family (Boyd) and found a marriage for a George S Boyd age 29 and Elizabeth Schoolar age 24. Elizabeth`s address given as Plantation Foot, Wamphrey.
Parents James Schoolar(mason) and Margaret Gifford.

Regards

Elna

margrace

Post by margrace » Mon May 05, 2014 2:28 am

Hi here is the information I have on the schoolars
George Schoolar (Scoular) 1722 1797 married Janet Harkness 1727 1802
Their children were
Janet Schoolar of Lockerbie 1766 1834 This was my ggggrandmother and she married John Carruthers of Howcleugh
James Schoolar
and I have more if this fits in.
Margaret

davelna

Post by davelna » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 pm

Just been following up on my research for Elizabeth Henry Schoolar and George Stephen Boyd who were married 1899 in Wamphrey They had a daughter Elizabeth Henry Boyd born 1903. Elizabeth died age 21 in 1924, from TB, Carstairs Junction, Lanark. Death certificate states father George Boyd deceased. I have trawled through Scotlands People for a death for George S Boyd, 1903-1924 to no avail. Is there someone out there who could point me in the right direction please.

Elna
Interests; Boyd/Boyde, Sutherland, Stevenson and McBeath in Fordyce, Sandend and Keith

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Thu May 18, 2017 7:12 pm

Have you found the family in the 1911 census?

There are lots of Elizabeth Boyd of the right age group living with another Elizabeth, but only 1 ?2 Of an Elizabeth and a George together - that's in Angus.

It could be that George had died before 1911 outwith Scotland or else he'd absconded and the family just presumed he was dead.
Who was the informant on the death entry? perhaps they just assumed he was dead.

Of course the poor man could be totally blameless and just missindexed on SP! that's where the 1911 census could be handy.
Wilma