St. Marys Wynd Edinburgh.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

vickory

St. Marys Wynd Edinburgh.....

Post by vickory » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:07 am

Hello Everyone,
Does anyone know if St. Mary's Wynd, Edinburgh was a single dwelling house or a street in 1861.
It was stated as her usual place of residence on the marriage certificate of Elizabeth McIvor.
Marriages in the District of St. Andrew In the Burgh of Edinburgh
Page 89 Document Number:77.

I've tried the map site suggested before with no luck

Regards, Vicki.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:40 am

Hi Vicki
I'm off to have a look to see what I can find, but from places I know of, a "Wynd" is normally a street - often a shortish street, or a narrow one.... a wee street!
So that is what I would be expecting to find.

...10 seconds later!! pic here:
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_eng_ma_03 ... s_wynd.htm

and it also states there:
The word wind signifies a lane leading from a main street, and of sufficient width to admit the passage of a carriage.
Best wishes
Lesley

vickory

Re: St. Marys Wynd Edinburgh

Post by vickory » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:45 am

Oh, Belay this please,
I've found a wonderful description & history of the area here...

http://www.oldandnewedinburgh.co.uk/vol ... ge117.html

Regards, Vicki.

vickory

Post by vickory » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:49 am

Thanks very much Lesley,
I've just this minute sent a message to say that I have found a great description of St. Mary's Wynd.

You're quite right, it was a little street though one with an interesting history.

Regards, Vicki.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Hi Vickory,

St Mary's Wynd is now St Marys Street in Edinburgh. The remaining old buildings there probably date from the 1860s going by the plaque on the wall there, which can be found on the web at:

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/hist ... odern.html

If you have any difficulty veiwing the image on that page, the plaque says "This is the first building erected under the Improvement Act of 1867. The Right Honourable William Chambers of Glenmoriston, Lord Provost".

The buildings in the picture on the webpage you listed are almost certainly the previous ones which were replaced in the 1860s.

The 1860s buildings on the east side of the street still stand. Part of the west side of the street was redeveloped some time ago (1960s?) with what I remember as being the Ben Line offices, and I think is now a Travelodge hotel.

For a map from the 1850s, see:
http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/to ... _1_se.html
Click on Sheet 36 (one below top-left)
You will find St Mary's Wynd just above the centreof that map.

All the best,

AndrewP

vickory

Post by vickory » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:01 am

Hello AndrewP,

You are brilliant!
I didn't find that website whilst googling. The first link I clicked was to Heave Awa Hoose, the story of a tragedy that killed 35 people when the building collapsed in 1861. The sole survivor a young boy named "Joseph McIvor".

There is every possibility that this young boy was a member of the very family that I'm chasing. He may even have been a younger brother to Elizabeth who had married 15/4/1861 age 18 years giving her usual place of residence as "St. Mary's Wynd".
Of course it's not definitive but another lead to follow.

At the time of her marriage her father Patrick was living & a witness was Mary McIvor, perhaps a sister or aunt, maybe step mother as her mother was already deceased.
The building was an 8 storey tenament & collapsed at 1-30am 25/11/1861 so one would think that those 35 people killed would have lived there & were probably sleeping at that hour.

Thank you so much AndrewP, more to investigate now :)
Regards, Vicki.

Flowergirl

Re: St. Marys Wynd Edinburgh.....

Post by Flowergirl » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm

This is a long shot considering how old this post is but I am wondering if you found the right family of McIver's.

I am looking for Patrick born 1848, parents James and Susan(McClusky) and his wife Margaret(Hillis) born 1851. Patrick had 3 brothers John, Thomas and William and a sister Susan. They had 3 children Peter, Hugh and Elizabeth, Lizzie who,is my great grandmother.

Patrick had a second wife, Mary McLaughin and 3 children by her, Maggie born 1887, Thomas 1889 and Susan 1901.

So many generations with the same names it is hard to find them :shock:

The search continues!

vickory

Re: St. Marys Wynd Edinburgh.....

Post by vickory » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:56 am

Hi Flowergirl,
Have just seen your question & hope you're still about.
I did manage to sort my McIVOR family. I don't recognize any of the names you mention though so I think your search is not the same as mine.
Regards, Vicki