McDONALD, MITCHELL, CALDER, SHAND, PETRIE research help

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Girouxtr

McDONALD, MITCHELL, CALDER, SHAND, PETRIE research help

Post by Girouxtr » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:26 pm

I am hoping to connect with anyone researching these families. I live in the U.S. and don't know the geography of Scotland very well so the spelling of some of my locations could be off. Not knowing the area has made research a challenge. I am looking for information on the following people;

Janet "Jessie" McDONALD b. 1831 in Edenkille, Moray d. 1891 at the Inverness District Asylum. She first married
(1) James MITCHELL b. 1822 in Longside, Aberdeenshire d. 1863 in Foress, Elgin
(2) Adam Hunter McLeod (I don't know much about him but they lived in Edinburgh)

James' parents are:
James MItCHELL b. 1798 in Clatt, Aberdeenshire and
Elspet "Elizabeth" HENDERSON b. 1796 in Aberlour, Banffshire.

Jessie's parents are:
Donald McDONALD b. 1798 in Ardclach, Nairnshire, d. 1871 in Elgin, Moray. He married
Barbara CALDER b. 1803 in Edinkille, Elginshire and d. 1864 in Alves, Moray.

According to Doanld's death record his parents are:
Donald McDONALD married to Janet SHAND.

Barbara's parents are:
John CALDER b. abt. 1770 and Anne PETRIE b. 1771 in Edenkille d. 1862.

Anne PETRIE's parents are:
John PETRIE and Margaret HUTCHEON (or Hutcheson)

I would really love to find the names of the elder Donald's parents. My great grandmother always used to talk about how her family (The McDonald's) were from a place called Braemar and she remembers them being a family of prominence. I would love to see if there is any truth to that.

But any other information or guidance on where to find info would be greatly appreciated. I have searched Scotland's people but they only seem to go back to 1855.

Thanks in advance for any information you can offer or share.
Tracy

Moray_Lass

Re: McDONALD, MITCHELL, CALDER, SHAND, PETRIE research help

Post by Moray_Lass » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi Tracy

No connection to your folk, but I can help with the geography if you need a hand.

For all things Moray I swear by Libindx
http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
Donald is mentioned in there, but no help on his parents

Scotland's People also has Old Parish records for pre-1855 records, but they can be hit or miss if they have survived.

Family Search has a Donald McDonald born Ardclach, 17 March 1997 to Donald McDonald and Janet McPherson...

This could help with seeing where parishes are in relation to each other and allot of history
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct

Allot of McDonald's born outside Moray in Edinkillie in 1841 census - brothers/cousins maybe?
https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Hope that helps some
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer