MCDOUGALL, children

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

mandymoo

MCDOUGALL, children

Post by mandymoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 am

According to census 1911 from SP Robert McDougall 39 , Wife Margaret 30, and children as follows
Robert age 8
Alexander age 4
Ann age 2
Mary age 8months

The street address i cant make out but the family were in Hutchesontown, Lanark,
which is consistent with the boys birth cert extracts and also his wifes death in 1914
Margaret M.S Blair parents John Blair and Mary Ann (McMinn?) who were both deceased in 1914 and Mary Ann prior to the couples marriage in 1901

I have been unable to locate the children atall after their mothers death

Robert re married in 1918 to Margaret Campbell (widow) M.S Cousin
They went on to have another 2 possibly 3 kids aswell as her having 3 from her first marriage to Alexander Campbell inn 1907 he died aged 34 in 1916

Robert McDougall (1871) died in 1922 aged 50
Margaret (Cousin) died 1961 her son Alexander Campbell registered the death

any suggestions regarding the children first mentioned would be appreciated as am at a brickwall
[rant]

nelmit

Re: MCDOUGALL, children

Post by nelmit » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm

The only sure way of finding anything is to visit a Family History Centre in Scotland. Is that an option for you?

A quick rummage at SP doesn't bring up anything obvious but it is quite a common name.

There is the possibility that Robert gave the children up as they were so young and maybe there was a name change involved. If you are not in Glasgow I could have a quick look at the Poorhouse records just in case.

Regards,
Annette

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:53 pm

They children may well have been adopted within the imediate family, and have taken their surname (s).
I have a similar family orphaned, boy taken in by his fathers brother,easy - but the girl by her mothers sister, so really hard to track down.

Have you tried under Blair, or have you traced any siblings of Robert or Margaret ?
If you have some idea of possible surnames it may save search time.

Quarriers homes is another possibility to look into.
At a tricky time period as the next census is still on the distant horizon.
Wilma

mandymoo

Post by mandymoo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:14 pm

nelmit wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:08 pm
The only sure way of finding anything is to visit a Family History Centre in Scotland. Is that an option for you?

A quick rummage at SP doesn't bring up anything obvious but it is quite a common name.

There is the possibility that Robert gave the children up as they were so young and maybe there was a name change involved. If you are not in Glasgow I could have a quick look at the Poorhouse records just in case.

Regards,
Annette
Thanks Annette, any help would be appreciated but i shall try my utmost to make a visit to Glasgow in the near future hopefully,

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:01 pm

No luck with any of the children in the poorhouse index.

I did find an application from Robert but it was in 1907 so before his first wife died. Frustrating that his 2nd wife was referenced on the application after Robert died but no family details included!

There was another made by his mother in 1921 but I was too late asking for it. I will look at it next time I'm there just in case.

Regards,
Annette

mandymoo

Post by mandymoo » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Annette i am still no further forward unfortunatley and appreciate your time and help :D