MARSHALL
ISOBEL daughter of
WILLIAM MARSHALL/
F
16/05/1762
400/
10 325
Abdie

Abdie is also in Fife not that far away!
Highly possible, but there are many Isobel Marshal (or name variants). We cannot be sure yet.
Some Parish Registers are unfortunately very limited. Same problem finding David Barclay.

bolemo

Re: The elusive Janet/Jessie Simpson

Post by bolemo » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:02 am

Could be our David, but not sure:
Death:
BARCLAY
DAVID
-----
M
09/11/1830
404/
50 88
Arngask
And our Isobel:
Death:
MARSHAL
ISOBEL
-----
F
15/02/1793
404/
40 65
Arngask
No age information, no parent information...

ggrocott

Post by ggrocott » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:13 am

Would make sense, love the way Scottish women seem to retain their maiden names.

Also found this in the 'Annals of Arngask

The Story of a Parish in the South-East Corner of Perthshire THE REV. JAMES MACKIE, M.C., M.A.

The Manse of Arngask

Glenfarp, June, 1858 Perthshire. http://www.glenfarg.org/downloads/Annals.pd'

'At later dates, other elders were added in February, 1807, James Barlas and David Barclay, and in May, 1816,'
A new edifice was erected on a site a few yards to the east by the heritors, two of whom were, of course, members of the Kirk Session, Burt, and Barclay, who owned Paris. That building still stands on Arngask Hill it is a plain barnlike structure in the worst taste of a period notorious for its lack of architectural discrimination.'

There is also mention of an Andrew Barclay who owned Paris soon after and who's daughter married the Minister.
Plus

It is of some interest to examine the list of heritors who owned property in the parish in 1841. All of them were proprietors of land valued at £50 Os 0d or more, and Burt names them in the order of their valued rents:- W. Murray of Conland. J. Hay of Paris. A. Coventry of Pittillock. Mrs. Wardlaw and R. Low of the Fordels. J. Burt, part of Duncrivie (unusual spelling) and Deuglie. J. Whyte of Arngask. Col. Miller of Eastertown. Rev. A. Burt of Wester Deuglie. Mrs. Barclay of Glendymill. J. Murray of Forresterseat. W. Hay of Hay’s Mill. W. Henderson of Blairstruie. C. G. Sidey of Letham. J. Bogie of Old Fargie. W. Simpson of Hayfield.

Gill

bolemo

Post by bolemo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 am

Interesting! Thank you.

Also found that family tree: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:346S-Q83
Some piece of info is wrong, some other right. Things we know, some we don't.

It is maintained by an Alexander Keith Barclay and his email is there.

ggrocott

Post by ggrocott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am

Fascinating, can't see Andrew Barclay on there.

Neither can I find Alexander Keith Barclay's email, must be doing something wrong!

Several family trees on Ancestry also have an older sister for Isabella Barclay, Janet born 1817 married Robert Dewar, died 1881 Dundee

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... &ml_rpos=6

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... &ml_rpos=2

Will look again later, have to go out this morning.

Gill
Last edited by ggrocott on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolemo

Post by bolemo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 am

ggrocott wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:47 am
Fascinating, can't see Andrew Barclay on there.

Neither can I find Alexander Keith Barclay's email, must be doing something wrong!

Will look again later, have to go out this morning.

Gill
He is missing some links, but if we can contact him (or invite him in this forum), we can surely make our mutual research more accurate. It's obvious that he did some research.

Just click on his name in there, and his email and phone number will appear.

ggrocott

Post by ggrocott » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Clicking on his name doesn't work for me, but I agree it would be a good idea to try and contact him.

Gill

bolemo

Post by bolemo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm

ggrocott wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:37 pm
Clicking on his name doesn't work for me, but I agree it would be a good idea to try and contact him.

Gill
Done, just wrote to him.

[EDIT] He answered and is happy to share with us. I gave him the link of this thread.

Good evening,

Gabriel

bolemo

Post by bolemo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:15 pm

Hello everyone,

I was able to get in touch with Alexander Keith Barclay, and possibly now a Jimmy Barclay Dunn, both descending from William and Janet.
I also found the Parish Records copies I have made in Dundee for William and Janet's wedding and the baptism of their children, not sure at the time if they were the right ones or not.

Alexander Keith Barclay's tree is here and it goes even furthuer in the past: https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedig ... e/K8SL-6YP

Jimmy Dunn might have written a book about the Barclays from Seggie (our line) and their stories.

Regards,

Gabriel

ggrocott

Post by ggrocott » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:21 pm

Interesting, that tree has different parents for William Barclay, Isabella's father. We have David Barclay and Isabella Marshall, bp 1791 Arngask, that tree shows them as William Barclay and Agnes Key bp 1789 Kilmany birth 1789 Logie. Of the two I prefer our version because Isabella reappears as a name and Agnes doesn't, also birth in Arngask ties in with likely burial.

If we are correct then the rest becomes irrelevant!

Oh, the joys of family trees!

Gill