Help with some handwriting

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

rossm

Help with some handwriting

Post by rossm » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello,

Came across this one this morning whilst re-checking through some of my records. This is from the OPR for Scoonie Parish, which records the marriage of my ancestors Robert Low and Janet Jack in Edinburgh in 1790, and the receipt of their dues in their home parish.

What I'd never noticed before is that the next record actually goes on to register the receipt of yet more money from Robert Low, and I'm having a little difficulty reading/understanding some of the terms. My best attempt is:

Received from [...] Robert Low 45d sterling viz for 10 weeks schooling about 7 years ago, & 6 weeks ditto, when a boy [...] before going to the [...] viz twixt the new year & candlemass
1790_marriage_Robert_Low_Janet_Jack_(Scoonie)_Addendum.jpg
1790_marriage_Robert_Low_Janet_Jack_(Scoonie)_Addendum.jpg (148.5 KiB) Viewed 1669 times
Can anyone fill in the [...] bits?

Cheers
Ross

arthurk

Re: Help with some handwriting

Post by arthurk » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm

I reckon you're almost there. I've replaced your [...] with my interpretations in bold.

Received from said Robert Low 45d sterling viz for 10 weeks schooling about 7 years ago, & 6 weeks ditto, when a boy immediately before going to the weaver trade viz twixt the new year & candlemass

Interesting - but someone else will have to explain its signficance.
Kennedy (PER > LKS > ARM > England); Campbell, Rutherford, McDonald, Sinclair (all PER)
Wilson, Millar (RFW & LKS); Duncan (LKS); Hastings (KKD) (all > WRY)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Well, Arthur,

I think you have done better than I had managed (and not posted). I agree with your interpretations of the various [...] pieces of text.

It seems that a debt to the parish was being settled, even if somewhat late. Maybe the young man was setting up to marry, but couldn't until the debts in his name were settled. Only speculating - I could be out by a country mile or more.

All the best,

AndrewP

rossm

Post by rossm » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Excellent Arthur, absolutely spot on. It's funny how as soon as someone else points it out, it becomes 'immediately' obvious :D

The 'weaver trade' bit also makes sense with the very few details I have about Robert Low. He is registered as a 'Manufacturer' when he marries Janet Jack in Edinburgh in January 1790 (his daughter's death register entry many years later confirm he was a Linen Weaver).

The marriage is then also registered in the Scoonie records in February, together with the receipt of the dues for the marriage, and these longstanding debts for his schooling. Thereafter, from 1791 onwards, the birth of all of their children are registered in Scoonie Parish, so Andrew's suggestion makes sense - that this was him returning to his home parish after marriage, and clearing his debt to the parish from many years previously. I can only think they didn't feel that Edinburgh was a suitable place to raise a family, or maybe he'd simply made enough money in his time there to be set up to return home.

It's always very pleasing to uncover a little bit of extra detail in an OPR record, beyond the normal 'both in this parish' :)

Ross