Further identification

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

crayspond

Re: Further identification

Post by crayspond » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:12 pm

Just found son James? McPhee's birth certificate after a couple of attempts - I was trying to change it on the cwgc site and they need the birth certificate. His name is John McPhee born 4/8/1893 at 75 Rose St Glasgow 1893 Father John McPhee labourer and Catherine McGinty (she was married to McGinty for a year then he died) no mention of her maiden surname Wright! Also they have cheekily put the marriage date as 30/12/1892 not 1893 - i double checked on the certificate and it says 1893. So mystery solved but not why he was called James.

1893 MCPHEE, JOHN (Statutory registers Births 644/11 1689)

Getting somewhere!

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Oh this is odd - printed out a clearer copy of the marriage cert of Catherine and John McPhee (my copy was in 2005 and not very clear) and it does say 1892 in the first column - although the couple above says 1893.
MCPHEE, JOHN - WRIGHT, CATHERINE (Statutory Marriages 644/01 0032)

Not sure how i can upload it here

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:53 pm

HI Ailsa,

It is very common for the first few registrations in a year book to be from an event that took place at the end of the previous year, be it a birth, marriage or death. The yearbook used is for the year that the registration took place. For the marriages that you describe, the couple on the certificate above who were married at the start of January registered their marriage before your couple registered theirs. In that sense, so long as it is within the legally prescribed period for making the registration, then the sequence of certificate in the book will be the order that they walked through the registrar's door; not the order in which the events actually took place.

All the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for that explanation regarding registration in year books. When you looked at the Army papers of James McFee did it mention his Service number on it? I am trying to amend his details on the cwgc site and it has directed me to the National Archives to purchase the medal index card. I have tried both names and variations combined with the regiments but no one comes up with his service number. I just wondered if it's the same as number on his army records which was 3/6626 10th Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
Thanks,
Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi Ailsa,

Yes, it was 3/6626 that was on the records that I viewed. See below the top of the first page.
JamesMcFee.JPG
JamesMcFee.JPG (104.78 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
All the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for that - i will maybe phone them tomorrow as i can't find his Medal Index card under any name.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi Ailsa,

There are four documents (receipts in his mother's name) in his papers concerning awards.
  • (undated) - British War Medal and Victory Medal
  • (10-Mar-1919) - 1914 Star
  • (30-Mar-1920) - Scroll
  • (16-Dec-1920) - Clasp 1914
Al the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks Andrew,

I will mention this to them when i speak to them or i may just fill in the amendment form and attach what i have.

Ailsa

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick update on the McPhee family. I phoned the cwgc and explained the situation, she was very helpful and I have sent all what I have to her to amend on the site. I feel much better about it now. I think he was called James or Jimmy growing up as he has signed an army paper as James but I'm glad at least to sort out the McPhee not McFee and other small points. Thanks again for the help.

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am

Good news this morning from Maria Choules at CWGC regarding the McPhee brothers. email below. I'm glad i persevered and contacted them. Thanks to all of you that helped.
Ailsa

Good morning

Thank you for your correspondence.

You will be pleased to hear that we have amended our records and included a brother link for these brothers.

This information will appear on our records and the update for the website should appear in the next couple of days.

Arrangements are in hand to amend the headstone.

Thank you for bringing these gentlemen to our attention.

Kind regards