BORRON bankruptcy?

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

littlealison

BORRON bankruptcy?

Post by littlealison » Fri May 11, 2018 9:56 am

Hello all.
After a long gap (family losses) I am now looking into my family in 19th century Glasgow again.
My great great grandfather John LITTLE was a manager and partner of William Geddes BORRON, glassmaker, of the Glasgow Glass Works. When the City of Glasgow Bank collapsed in 1878-9, my ancestor had moved on
and was working in Lancashire.
I know that William Borron was involved in some way with the bank and must have been affected, I am fairly sure that his son of the same name then working in Australia with Glen Walker was bankrupted - but I can find no record that William Borron went bankrupt - only that in the Glasgow Post Office directories online his businesses suddenly disappeared by 1880-1.

Can anyone help find out? - Alison
Researching:
LITTLE - Scotland, Lancashire, Dublin and South Africa. And Canada.
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland
ANDREWS, MEMERY, DOWSE and BIRMINGHAM - Dublin
PRICE, JACKSON, ROGERS, ALLEN - N. Wales

Falkyrn

Re: BORRON bankruptcy?

Post by Falkyrn » Fri May 11, 2018 6:43 pm

The London Gazette has two entries which might be of interest
The first dated 24th August 1880 makes reference to William Borron and William Glen Walker

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... /page/4665

The 2nd is later (7 August1888) and refers to the dissolving of the partnership between John Little and CHARLES Bell Ford Borron and the continuation of the business of Newton Glass Works

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... /page/4261

Re City of Glasgow Bank collapse - its possible that if William Borron was a shareholder of the bank that this led to the collapse of his company. The shareholders were found liable for all debts of the bank and were each hit with demands of several thousand pounds per share in restitution (approximate a quarter of a million pounds in todays money per share they held)
~RJ Paton~

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Fri May 11, 2018 6:53 pm

Glasgow University Business Archives hold the records of the City of Glasgow Bank and may be able to assist further

https://www.gla.ac.uk/myglasgow/archives/contact/
~RJ Paton~

eilthireach

Post by eilthireach » Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm

If you go to the search page of the National Records of Scotland and enter as a search term simply the surname borron (the name is sufficiently uncommon as to bring up a manageable set of results (20, actually) most of which appear to be relevant...

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Sat May 12, 2018 6:58 pm

Hi - thanks folks.
I've emailed the Glasgow University Business Archives with the same query.

The National Records of Scotland has one record of interest at a possible time, 1883, it says it's a
"Decree of ranking and preference and act and warrant for payment in multiplepoinding, the Royal Bank of Scotland v William Geddes Borron and others",
Definitely a demand for money, but I don't know what 'multiplepoinding' means!

It is possible I suppose that he just had to sell off all his businesses to pay this?
Certainly he is next found in London.
- Alison
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

eilthireach

Post by eilthireach » Sat May 12, 2018 7:44 pm

Multiplepoinding (pronounced as if spelled multiplepinnding) is a term in Scots law. Click on the link to the Scottish National Dictionary to get an explanation. Ranking, another term in Scots law, is also explained in that dictionary.

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Mon May 14, 2018 1:15 pm

Multiplepoinding - in Scots law, the technical term for a form of action by which conflicting claims to the same fund or property are determined.

I've since found (in the Glasgow Herald) that the last glassworks of WG Borron was up for sale by auction in 1880 - first at £13,000 which was a reduced price....then again in 1882 with no price given. Since it would be known who was in difficulties because of the bank collapse, I doubt if he got very much!

I have no idea what reserves he had at this point.
He did have a very large house in Ardrossan - did he have to sell that? I will investigate...

I have an acknowledgement from the Archive Services, University of Glasgow but no answer yet.
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 am

Yes, the house (the biggest in Ardrossan) changed hands around 1881, to Archibald Douglas Bryce-Douglas. In 1881 a new tower was built, and I doubt if WG Borron did that....
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

littlealison

Post by littlealison » Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am

No answer from the Glasgow University Business Archives, but they say up to 20 days.

Meanwhile, could I come back to the link from 'Falkyrn'
https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/iss ... /page/4261 ?

I'd like to ask another legal/financial question.
I know that John Little was ill and died nine months later.
I've gathered that the works in Newton was leased from Pilkingtons in St Helens.
His will left everything to his third wife and her father.

What would the situation be if John had died still a partner?
...or is this not enough information?
Researching:
RITCHIE, BARR - Scotland

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Fri May 18, 2018 10:51 pm

What would the situation be if John had died still a partner?
It's complicated at its simplest John's heirs would have become owners of what ever shares/ownership he had in the company which constituted his partnership - possibly his widow as the primary heir. Although the situation may have been more complicated given that she was his 3rd wife - There would also have been the possibility that he could bequeath his shares/partnership in the company to another 3rd party.

At the other end of the spectrum the terms of the partnership may have a bearing on who becomes the owner of what e.g. on the demise of one partner the others may have first option to purchase that share of the company at a previously agreed price but there are a multitude of different scenarios
~RJ Paton~