Must the name on death cert be same as birth cert?

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

Must the name on death cert be same as birth cert?

Post by crayspond » Tue May 29, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi all,

I am looking for a death cert for James Wright born 21st August 1890 in Glasgow. He is registered as illegitimate - mother Catherine Wright. He is with her on the 1891 census but not the 1901 census. She married John McPhee in 1893 and my question is could his death be registered as James McPhee or would his birth cert have to be produced even then to register his death ? I am having problems finding a match for him.
Thanks

Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Must the name on death cert be same as birth cert?

Post by AndrewP » Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi Ailsa,

There is no requirement for the birth certificate to be presented as part of death registration.

Information on a death certificate is only as good as the person informing the registrar offers. Generally it is good, but a death certificate is the one most likely to give misinformation. It can easily be that the informant did not know the person intimately - it could be a neighbour, or a hospital official with limited information of the deceased's origins. Sometimes the informant is a young relative, who never knew the deceased's parents, not even by name.

All the best,

AndrewP

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 pm

I don't think a birth certificate is required when registering a death - helpful but not vital.

As I understand it when a woman marries, if she is single or widowed, then her children can automatically be known by the new husband's surname.
They simply need to produce a copy of their mother's marriage cert alongside their birth cert. as proof.

So yes look for him under McPhee.
Wilma

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Tue May 29, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks to all,

I thought i had found him as James Wright age 2 - 1893 WRIGHT, JAMES (Statutory registers Deaths 644/12 343) but it turned out to be the wrong parents. That's why i thought maybe he was registered under McPhee.
Thanks for the help,

Ailsa

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Hi,
A quick update for your info. After a couple of wrong attempts at finding James Wright or McPhee born 21st August 1890 I eventually found him.
I was sticking to the assumption that as he didn't appear on the 1901 census with mother Catherine then McPhee he had died within the 1891 census and 1901 census. Sticking to within the Gorbals area, I found him at 49 Dale St Tradeston. He died in 1891 age 14 months of teething and convulsions. :( He was registered as James Wright - Illegitimate - mother Catherine Wright.
Have a good week end,
Ailsa