My DNA Journey as a newbie.....

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

chiddicks

My DNA Journey as a newbie.....

Post by chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Over the next few weeks I hope to post a regular blog on my personal DNA experience from a complete novice perspective. From choosing the test, the test itself, the results and what to do next.

Hopefully if your new like me this might help you with choices, interpreting your results and ultimately what to do with them

chiddicks

Re: My DNA Journey as a newbie.....

Post by chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

DNA Testing - The Revolution (1) https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... evolution/ via @chiddickstree

chiddicks

Post by chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Choosing a DNA test (2) https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... na-test-2/ via @chiddickstree

chiddicks

Post by chiddicks » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:13 pm

chiddicks

Post by chiddicks » Mon May 07, 2018 10:08 pm

My DNA Results are in! Could I be anymore British!!

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... ts-are-in/

donna petrie

Post by donna petrie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Hello: yes DNA is exciting. I had mine done with FTDNA and my sister and her husband had theirs done by Ancestry. I also had my parents' done. I have 98% European - mixed British Isles and a high percentage Scandinavian as well, and a tad of Siberian.
We uploaded all to gedmatch. Although , as expected , we shared lot of dna, we also had differences. For example my father passed along some oceania DNA to my sister but not to me. My mother gave me "Iberian", Italian and "jewish" ( there is no specific Jewish DNA, but we had an MTDNA match to many Jewish people - within three and four generations to a common ancestor). It is fascinating, but be prepared for a lot of frustration as well.

Enjoy on your journey
Donna
Fisher Slimman Murray Dow Dickson Liverance Scoular, Duncan Mclaughlin Hunter Buchanan, Petrie, Millar Wallace Foote Henderson LIndsay
Smith, Mains, Huldberg Wilkes Morris Islay Ponter Murray Miller Whitten Irvine

hg

Post by hg » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi Donna, Would you mind giving me some more information about gedmatch? I had my dna tested by Ancestry.com about 2 years ago. My file is still uploaded on Ancestry but I have been thinking about uploading it to gedmatch. I think downloading it from Ancestry seems fairly straightforward, but I wondered if I could upload it back again if I wanted to! How easy is it to upload to gedmatch? I am still tryig to get my head around this dna stuff. Thanks in advance. Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

donna petrie

Post by donna petrie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I just went to their website and the instructions were very easy to follow to upload your dna. After it is complete there is a small wait period then you can start using all their utilities. Matching , ethnic origins using different population sets, and more . There is also a Facebook group. I went hard at it for a while but have given it a rest for now.
D
Fisher Slimman Murray Dow Dickson Liverance Scoular, Duncan Mclaughlin Hunter Buchanan, Petrie, Millar Wallace Foote Henderson LIndsay
Smith, Mains, Huldberg Wilkes Morris Islay Ponter Murray Miller Whitten Irvine

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 am

Helen,
Your DNA will stay on Ancestry (unless you ask to have it deleted) when you download the raw data to your desktop. It does not remove it from the site. Then, it is easy to upload it to GEDmatch. I have done it a number of times for different people and would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Best wishes,
Sarah

hg

Post by hg » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:44 am

Thank you both for your replies. I am relieved to hear Sarah that my dna will stay on Ancestry and may have to take up your kind offer at some point of asking some questions. Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.