Seaforth Highlanders

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

hg

Seaforth Highlanders

Post by hg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:21 am

My grandad, John McDonald was a soldier in the Seaforth Highlanders. As you can imagine there are hundreds if not thousands of John McDonalds. I have just looked at the free access to Fold3 military access on Ancestry.com. He was born in Carluke 1888. I have had no success tracing his army records. Family stories are that he was in charge of German prisoners of war during WW1 but I have no idea where this was.
I have also had difficulty finding him in the 1911 census but I don't think he was in the army then as he records himself as a cabinet maker living at Roseburn Terrace Edinburgh when he marries my grandmother in 1914.
Does anyone have any ideas about where I can go to get any information?

Thanks in advance.

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

hg

Re: Seaforth Highlanders

Post by hg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:24 am

Sorry, I probably should have posted this in the armed forces section.
Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Hello Helen,

I thought that Fold3 only had USA military records, but I'm not up to date on that.

If he served overseas he would have been awarded one or more campaign medals which would have had his name, unit, and regimental number inscribed on the edge. Do you know if these are still held by the family?

You can search for a WW1 Medal Index Card here. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help ... 1914-1920/

There were 89 soldiers with his name in the Seaforth Highlanders who received medals, although some had middle names etc. Not much help unless there is something about him that stands out. http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... 00&_hb=tna

Unfortunately about two thirds of British Army WW1 service records were destroyed during WW2 bombing. Copies of surviving records can be had from Ancestry and probably elsewhere.

Did he have any children during WW1? If so, their birth certificates may show the service details against the fathers name.

If he was still away from home in 1918 you may be able to find something in the Absent Voters Lists. Details here https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldier ... ers-lists/

Hope this helps
Alan

hg

Post by hg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:02 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply Allen.
Fold3 do have service records for the uk. I have had no luck on the national archives either. John McDonald is a common name in Scotland.
He had a son in 1914, no service details are recorded on bc. Another son in 1916, again nothing recorded. Both bc's have him as a cabinetmaker and living at an address in Edinburgh.
I wonder if he even served overseas because of the family story that he was in charge of pow's here in the UK.
There is a photo of him in a uniform, it is not clear enough to tell what uniform it is. But, when I look at photos on line it looks similar to Seaforth Highlanders from ww1.
I will have a look at the absent voters list, maybe something on there.
all the best

Helen

hg

Post by hg » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:01 pm

I have managed to find very limited information about John McDonalds military records. I found a relative who had his service number and managed to locate his medal card all his other records appear to have been destoyed. There is a Highland regiments museum who were able to shed some light for me. He attested in 1916 and after 6 months basic training was with the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion Seaforth Highlanders. He was then transferred to the newly formed labour corp national reserves sometime in 1917. I have contacted their archives but they have no records at all. They have advised me of a book 'No Labour, No Battle: Military Labour during the First World War: The Labour Corps in the First World War' which I intend buying in the hope that it may shed some light on his service. Both my elderly relatives have said he 'looked after German prisoners of war' so I am assuning he stayed in the UK. He was a cabinet maker so maybe they needed his skills here. Helen

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 am

Hello Helen,

Sorry but I couldn't reply earlier, had a cataract operation last Monday and won't be seeing straight until the other eye is done in a few weeks time.

My understanding is that if he stayed in the UK he would not have received any campaign medals and would therefore not have a medal card. http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers ... ndex-card/

Wounded soldiers were often transferred to the Labour Corps if they were no longer fit for front line service. https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/re ... 1917-1918/

If you let me know the regimental number and regiment detail etc shown on the card I could have a look in the newspapers to see if he is findable on any casualty lists.

All the best,
Alan

hg

Post by hg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:46 pm

Hello Alan,

The Seaforth Highlanders - 14468.
Labour Corps - 111406

Hope you get better soon.

Thank you

Helen

Currie

Post by Currie » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:51 am

Thanks Helen,

No luck at all with the newspapers.

Note also that the medal card may show the date he entered a theatre of war and the location.

All the best again,
Alan