Accuracy of certificates

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

douglas

Accuracy of certificates

Post by douglas » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I have a death certificate from 1907 for Thomas BROWN. The deceased died in Dalkeith Poorhouse, the informant being the House Governor. The age given is consistent with the censuses (dob 1830 - 1835) but for the parents given (both deceased), the only OPR birth listed is for Ann BROWN, born 1847. Censuses consistently give a place of birth of Peeblesshire but the OPR births in Peeblesshire for a Thomas Brown are for different parents.

When someone entered the Poorhouse, did they give their parents details? Is it reasonable that the parents given on the death cert can be taken being the true parents?
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)

WilmaM

Re: Accuracy of certificates

Post by WilmaM » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:28 pm

I think you'll find that death certificate information is only as good as the person giving it.
Birth and marriage information are much more accurate as the relevant parties are actually present.
Family members can more relied upon to give the correct info. as they may have known the deceased parents ( but even so we've frequently noticed that the child, or grand child, will have little idea of their grandmothers maiden names)
That being said, in close communities ab'dy kens ab'dy and the details will be spot on!

Did your chap ever marry? His marriage lines would be a god place to look for confirmation of his parents, or to go sideways try any siblings marriage/death information to get at the truth.
Wilma

douglas

Post by douglas » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:45 am

He married pre 1855 so no note of parents.

I'm puzzled as to how the Poorhouse would have had his parents names. He entered the Poorhouse after the death of his wife. Was it customary to provide the Poorhouse with parents' names (when they would be deceased). I can imagine giving a next of kin, but not deceased parents.
Hope, McLauchlen, Brown: (Peebleshire) Campbell : (Dunbartonshire) Tait: (Berwickshire)
Callan: (Lanarkshire) Davidson, Close, Murdoch: (Edinburgh) Penman (Midlothian)
Wilson (Glasgow/Midlothian)

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:36 pm

On any Glasgow poorhouse applications the applicant gives his/her parents' names, place of birth and if they are living when they are the pauper or sick person.

Sometimes it is a relative who applies for them to be admitted and in that case I think they would supply the information.

Regards,
Annette

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Interesting. My late grandad’s sister died in Dundee East Poorhouse in December 1918. Her widower was listed as a jute mill worker and also as 2/4 City of Dundee Battalion Royal Highlanders. She had six children who all died in infancy or early childhood. I have contacted Dundee archives to try to establish why she was in the poorhouse, but they said they have no records :|