Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneM
Global Moderator

Re: Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post *

Post by AnneM » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:50 pm

This has to be my all time favourite piece of detective work...though I remain peeved not to have been the one to find the right Christina!

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm

Oh my! =D> =D> =D> to all involved. This should be required reading for anyone with a notion for family history =D> =D> =D>

imlincs

Post by imlincs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:02 pm

A postscript from the originator.

As a result of this phenomenal piece of cooperative working and help across continents, you not only helped to satisfy my own curiosity about my grandmother's origins and significantly to expand my family tree, but, partly as a result of your work, I have also been contacted by several other descendants of the Simpson family, at least one of whom has been able through this tale to break down her own brick wall relating to her ggmother, none other than Christina Simpson. In so doing she also enabled me to discover that my Grandmother, Helen Cheyne, was not as I had previously thought, Christina's first child, opening up another hitherto unknown branch of the family - I wonder if Helen Cheyne knew about her older half-brother. Interesting old family photographs have been exchanged and more information shared.

My only regret is that I have never been able to track down with certainty James Cheyne, the father of Helen, and with passing time, fear that he is a lost cause.

I too have considerable reason to be grateful to contributors to Talking Scot and am happy to join the birthday celebrations. At the same time I would also like to acknowledge the help and kindness I have received from various members of the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Society.

Ian McDonald
+++

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:29 pm

I "bumped" this one for our 10th anniversary and it's still one of my all-time favorites, for teamwork and perseverance. Read through from the beginning and enjoy!

[birthday]
Talking Scot is 15 years old!

Sarah

nelmit

Re: Helen Cheyne born Kintore 1886 ** birthday bumped post **

Post by nelmit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:52 pm

SarahND wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:29 pm
I "bumped" this one for our 10th anniversary and it's still one of my all-time favorites, for teamwork and perseverance. Read through from the beginning and enjoy!

[birthday]
Talking Scot is 15 years old!

Sarah
Mine too Sarah.

Happy birthday Talking Scot. =D> [raise-glass]