TalkingScot's 15th birthday

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

AndrewP
Site Admin

TalkingScot's 15th birthday

Post by AndrewP » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:29 pm

The TalkingScot website and forum will have its 15th birthday on 07 December 2019.

You may wish to add a post to a favourite story (or two or more) to bring it back to the top of the pile to remind the longer established TalkingScot folks of it/them, and to introduce it/them to the newer members here.

All the best,

AndrewP

Ina
Global Moderator

Re: TalkingScot's 15th birthday

Post by Ina » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:32 am

I can't believe it's been 15 years already. =D> =D> =D> Where did the time go?

Ina

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm

I lurked on the site for two and a half years before I registered. Either it was because of my slow computer, or that I couldn’t think of anything to say.

Then on Friday, June 22, 2007, at 3:35 a.m., Scottish time, I piped up with:

“It's a COOKIES thing. Delete all your Ancestry cookies and then retry the site. If you're desperate delete all your cookies. Worked for me.” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9447&hilit=cookies+thing&start=10

I suspect that, sadly, many of the original TalkingScot members are now doing their genealogy “In the cloud”, so to speak.

As to old threads this one comes to mind. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14104

The thread opener, “Gloswegian”, had a feeling that “there may be something strange about James' death. Either a work accident or something else more sinister! I don't know why I have this feeling but....”

And so it turned out to be.

I can’t think of anything else to say.

All the best,
Alan

Blanche

Post by Blanche » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm

A number of years ago a second cousin on my paternal side made contact with me through the site. Eventually we met and discovered the she and a rather more distant cousin on my maternal side had been friends since they were 5! Since then, as we're very close in age, we've kept up and met up periodically. Thank you TalkingScot.

Muriel

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Happy Birthday, Talking Scot!!! \:D/

Talking Scot is 15 years old! [cheers]

To celebrate, as we did 5 years ago on the 10th anniversary, we are “bumping” selected older posts - posts we enjoyed , posts with knotty puzzles, posts which made us laugh, posts which brought a tear to our eye and posts where the problem solving skills of Talking Scot members won the day. Why not join us in our celebrations by “birthday bumping” some of your favourite posts? Just post a reply to the end of any of your favourite posts and remember to mention in your reply it is a “Birthday Bumped” post!

“Birthday bumps” or “dumps” are a tradition in Scotland, especially in school playgrounds, where the birthday boy or girl was pursued in order to be given “dumps” or “bumps” - usually a series of bumps on the behind with a knee, corresponding to the number of years the birthday person had now reached (and sometimes an extra one for luck!).

[talkingscot]

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:46 pm

SarahND wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:36 pm
“Birthday bumps” or “dumps” are a tradition in Scotland, especially in school playgrounds, where the birthday boy or girl was pursued in order to be given “dumps” or “bumps” - usually a series of bumps on the behind with a knee, corresponding to the number of years the birthday person had now reached (and sometimes an extra one for luck!).
When I was at school, "dumps" were usually applied by a fist in the middle of the back.

Anyway...

Happy 15th birthday TalkingScot. [cheers] \:D/ =D> [birthday] [raise-glass] [Scotland drink] [globe] [scotland-flag] [5 cups]

All the best,

AndrewP

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Happy Birthday Talking Scot =D> [cheers] \:D/

Like Sarah one of my all time favourite posts is viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12465

Moonwatcher's stories were always a joy to read and Alan's newspaper posts bring history to life.

Thanks to Andrew and all the admin team for all their hard work behind the scenes. =D> =D>

My first brick wall posted nearly 15 years has never been solved but I still live in hope .......one day. :D

Best wishes,
Annette

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:46 pm

nelmit wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:05 pm
My first brick wall posted nearly 15 years has never been solved but I still live in hope .......one day. :D
Hi Annette,

Go back to that post and add a new reply to it to bring it to the attention of today's readers. See if a fresh look at it can bring any new leads.

All the best,

AndrewP

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I must be losing it! I thought I posted yesterday, but I guess not. Anyway...

HAPPY 15th BIRTHDAY TALKINGSCOT! =D> =D> =D> Where does the time fly?

Like Annette, some of my favourites are reading Alan's newspaper posts and I used to look forward to Moonwatcher's stories too. Actually there have been so many good posts over the years. I often Google a name I'm researching and up pops an old post from TalkingScot, some of which are helpful now that I either didn't see originally or my research hadn't come across the particular family. So old posts keep on giving. =D>

Cheers to everyone for their hard work and keeping TalkingScot up and running! [cheers]

Regards,
Anne

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:22 am

Hi! Just to let you know, I've not gone. Still pop in occasionally to see what's what!

So happy birthday, TalkingScot! Thanks for being there when I've needed you!

[cheers]

Ann