Access to Historical maps on-line

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

rosieno1

Access to Historical maps on-line

Post by rosieno1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:04 pm

When i first started tracing my familytree, I had access to a site where you could check maps through the years of areas you are interested. I have forgotton what the site was called, no doubt linked into Scottish govenrnment records in some way.

My reason is, and maybe some one can help me wih this more directly, I have been trying to solve a family story mystery. My Great grandfather was one of 10, with 5 sisters One storry went that one of his sisters worked for Coates or one of the other Mills as a buyer, and was in Rushia on a trip during the revolution. I have been able to trace 3 of them and they were either married or dead at the appropriate time. The other 2 were Hellen (or Ellen) Duffy, born 27/08/1874 at Cleland Lanarkshire. In 1891 was on census at Newton Mearns as a bleachfield worker, after that nothing. The second sister Catherine or Kate Duffy was born 06/01/1886, was on 1901 census in Cleland, with Father joseph, and 2 brothers Joseph & Andrew. Andrew emigrated in 1911 and on his arrival documentation in New York, he gives as his home contact his sister Kate at 2 London Place, Paisley. I cant find her anywhere on the 1911 census, so wanted to check on an appropriate map to find out if that address existed.

My large Duffy family were based in lanarkshire from before the 1841 census, but this branch seemed to have an affinity for Paisley, and the seemed to move back and forward quite a lot.

Any advice would be lovely - on accessing the maps or some other way of checking for historical addresses. I have tried google but did not find anything definitive - anything at all to be honest!

Thanks again!

WilmaM

Re: Access to Historical maps on-line

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:31 pm

When i first started tracing my familytree, I had access to a site where you could check maps through the years of areas you are interested. I have forgotton what the site was called, no doubt linked into Scottish govenrnment records in some way.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore should help with your first question.

I'm away for my haggis n neeps and irn bru now I'll read the rest of your post later [bagpipe]
Wilma

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:11 pm

Hmm London Place doesn't sound familiar as a Paisley address.

You can also check on Scotlands People for addresses - the valuation rolls section - it will only tell you the owner and tenant at 5 year intervals [not everyone living there] London Place doesn't come up anywhere in Scotland 1905/1915 . Could be a similar name like Lawn street? misheard by those unfamiliar .

I do recall a programme on the BBC a few years ago about the Paisley Mills, it was very interesting. I think there was some mention of the Russian revolution and workers being caught up, as well as somebody driving out of a city as Hitler drove In!
Perhaps the Paisley Museum would be able to help you out, I think they have access to the Coats mill records.

The museum itself is closed for refurbishment, but the Heritage centre is open elsewhere:
https://www.renfrewshireleisure.com/heritage-centre/
appropriately in an old mill building .
Wilma

rosieno1

Post by rosieno1 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Thanks Wilma, I've worked out that London Place was actually Gordon Place, which was changed/renames as part of King Street a few years later.

However I have not been able to trace her on the 1911 Census, as yet!

You are right, I want to investigate the Mill records next!

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm

May not be much use to you but there are some Paisley Directories online. Not many Duffys there.

1910-11
https://archive.org/details/paisleydire ... 6/mode/2up

1907-08
https://archive.org/details/paisleydire ... 4/mode/2up

More here
https://archive.org/search.php?query=pa ... 0directory

Alan

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:06 pm

more questions?

What was the mother's name [ Joseph snr's wife]
When did he die? finding that may give more clues, address and informant's address.
Did Kate marry ? using her mother's maiden name may [ just may, mind you] throw up her death and you can then search for her married name that way.
She may be 'hiding' behind her husband' surname in the directory and valuation roll entries.

There is often a kernel of truth in family lore - just working it out is the headache!
Wilma