John Reynolds Perkins 2.1.1919 - 3.6.2010

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

crayspond

John Reynolds Perkins 2.1.1919 - 3.6.2010

Post by crayspond » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:53 pm

This is Ailsa's husband Ian [John} using her account.

I am trying to trace any family of my Uncle John Reynolds Perkins who died in NOWRA NSW Australia on 3rd June 2010 aged 91.

I have only just discovered his whereabouts. This because he was given away shortly after his birth (2.1.1919), and I assume informally adopted, finding him has been difficult. I have a mysterious strong DNA match to somebody who has remained non-responsive to me - I am guessing she could be a daughter or granddaughter of my Uncle John.

John was the last of 8 children born to Agnes Malloy and my grandfather Peter Reynolds [1881-1943] born in Newmains, Lanarkshire born on 2.1.1919. Agnes Malloy died two weeks after giving birth to John. As Peter was most probably unable to cope he gave the baby away. Until very recently nobody knew who he was given away to as it was outwith the family. This caused a great deal of anguish and bitterness over the years against my grandfather Peter Reynolds - he died in 1943 and took the secret with him.

Yesterday I found a marriage certificate for John Reynolds Perkins and Georgina Huntly Aitken who married in Dunbar East Lothian on 2nd January 1942. His 'parents' are listed as George Perkins (deceased) and Martina Perkins. John was in the army at the time (KOSB). His address Dumfries. Hers Dunbar. However the marriage certificate was annotated and a Register of Corrected Entries included to substitute the parents for the actual ones; Peter Reynolds and Agnes Malloy. This was in September 1942. I am full of admiration for the people who made the correction - all done in an age without computers!

This morning I managed to find the text of a Death Notice that John Reynolds "Jock" Perkins passed away 3rd June 2010 aged 91. Published in South Coast Register (NOWRA) which I think is in NSW, Australia. His wife Georgina predeceased him in 1998. She was cremated at Shoalhaven Crematorium which is town near to NOWRA.

I am after any information about children they may have had. I tried searching the South Coast Register but could not find anything. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ian

Currie

Re: John Reynolds Perkins 2.1.1919 - 3.6.2010

Post by Currie » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:31 am

Hello Ian,

You probably have this all sorted out by now.

If this is your Jock he appears to have had a good singing voice, maybe semi professional, and was in that part of NSW as early as 1951. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/resu ... decade=195

This appears to be their arrival in 1949. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/res ... in&sid=999

Perkins
John R
Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Perkins
Georgina
Passenger Lists Leaving Uk 1890-1960
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

There’s only one Perkins travelling to Sydney in 1949 that could possibly be a child of the couple and that’s L*wr*nce born 1942.

A L*wr*nce H*nry Perkins married in Woollongong, NSW, in 1962.
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/li ... h/result?3

In 1980 L*awr*nce H*nry was living in the same electoral district, Macarthur, as John and Georgina.
https://www.ancestry.com.au/search/cate ... =0-0-0_1-0

You need to register or subscribe to look at some of the above. I can’t find anything more recent.

Maybe there’s something on the Genes Reunited site but I’m not registered there.

All the best,
Alan

crayspond

Re: John Reynolds Perkins 2.1.1919 - 3.6.2010

Post by crayspond » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi Alan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this. He has one surviving niece who is now aged 91. I will ensure her family get the information so that she has an idea what happened to our Uncle John.

Now that I have the name of the son I will continue to research this.

Sincere thanks

Ian