Rhind - Glasgow area

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

HazelRhind

Rhind - Glasgow area

Post by HazelRhind » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:38 pm

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help. Our family name is Rhind and I was born in, and lived in, Clarkston, Glasgow before we moved south. We lost touch with my Grandad's family and I was hoping to find his family members. I have no clue where to start although it's not a common name.

My Grandad was John Storie Rhind, married to Morag Notman (or Marian, she used both). My Dad can't recall what their birth years were or when they got married, but I have a photograph of their wedding which looks like the 1920s. They lived in Bellshill, Bothwell and lastly Motherwell and Grandad had a legal practice in Hamilton. He was a Judge in the Sheriff Court in Glasgow, he was a dispatch rider in WW1.

The family I'm trying to find is his brother's, David Rhind, I don't have a middle name for him and I don't know where they lived as children or their parent's names, however I do recall Grandad telling Mum not to name my new baby sibling John Storie as there had already been too many, so I think his Dad must have been called that too (as mine is). I'm sure had Mum still been with us she would have had more information, but unfortunately that's all I have. Any assistance would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks Hazel

WilmaM

Re: Rhind - Glasgow area

Post by WilmaM » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Welcome to Taking Scot Hazel. [TS_welcome]

Putting "John Storie Rhind" into the basic search box on Scotlands people gives:

2 births - 1899 Hamilton and 1930's Bothwell
1 death - 1967 in Dalziel aged 67 [born ~1899]
1 marriage - to Marion McKinnon NOTMAN in Holytown 1930

using that information Marion was born in 1899 too, in Larkhall.

Most of these certificates can be downloaded from the Scotland People fora small fee.
These will give you parents' names, addresses and occupations.
There will be census returns too for 1901 and 1911 which should show any siblings such as David.

I'll leave you to do the rest.

We can't, for privacy reasons, post names and details for those who may be still living [birth 100 years, deaths 50 years and marriages 75 years]
so can't help you with the current generations.
Wilma

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:28 pm

This looks likely to be the family at 21 Butterburn Park, Hamilton in 1901.

James Rhind Head Married Male 36 1865 Railway Brakesman Callander, Perthshire, Scotland
Elizabeth B Rhind Wife Married Female 35 1866 - Granton, Midlothian, Scotland
David Rhind Son - Male 3 1898 - Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland
John S Rhind Son - Male 1 1900 - Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Ann Rhind Mother Widow Female 64 1837 - Coupar Angus, Forfarshire (Angus), Scotland

A David Rhind married a Joan Roger at Hamilton in 1924.

Like Wilma said a look at John's marriage entry will confirm his parents' names and from there you should be able to confirm if David is the correct one.

Regards,
Annette

eilthireach

Post by eilthireach » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 pm

From the online search facility at the National Records of Scotland (http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrso ... earch.aspx) you can see that John Storie Rhind filled out a Soldier's Will when he was on war service in WWI:

Reference Title Date
SC70 Records of H M Commissary Office, Edinburgh 1808-1996
SC70/8 Soldiers' wills 1857-1966
SC70/8/916 Wills sent by War Office to Commissary Office, Edinburgh 1914-1918
Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Records of Scotland
Reference SC70/8/916/3
Title Will of 250339 Private John S Rhind, 5/6th Bn. or 1/4th, Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment), Cause of death: Died of Wounds, France, Theatre: France and Flanders, 27 Sep 1918
Dates 16 April 1917

... which you can actually view on ScotlandsPeople.

HazelRhind

Post by HazelRhind » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 am

Thank you all very much, gives me somewhere to start. Very difficult finding anything when my Dad can't recall any family information!!

Hazel