John McLachlan and Isabella Campbell, Argyll

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

sueb

John McLachlan and Isabella Campbell, Argyll

Post by sueb » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:29 am

Help, please.

I'm looking for clues to help find my 3 x gt grandparents. Our family history up until that point is well documented.

I have the death certificate of my 2 x grt grandfather Dugald who was born in Lismore Argyllshire in 1792 and died in Australia in 1867. His parents were John McLachlan, a farmer, and Isabella McLachlan (maiden name Campbell - so I'm assuming they were married). Info on the death certificate was provided by Dugald's eldest son, John.

Dugald and his family lived around Lismore, and on the Isle of Mull, then farmed around Morvern before migrating to Australia when his wife died.

In the 60's and 70's my mother used Scottish researchers to try and find John and Isabella but everyone hit a brick wall and suggested the records were either lost or never existed. I have found two potential leads but am not sure where to go next:

ONE:
From ScotlandsPeople, I have the death certificate of an Isabella McLachlan (widow) in Lismore in 1859 aged 86 years - birth therefore around 1773). Parents names: Donald McLachlan (Tackman?, Laggan, Morven) and Barbara McLachlan. Maiden name Campbell. The information was provided by a Hugh Cameron with no relationship that I can find.

I'm confused as to whether the Maiden name is for Isabella, or her mother Barbara. I have searched and cannot find any baptism records for Isabella or her unnamed McLachlan husband with parents Donald and Barbara McLachlan / Campbell. If Campbell was her mother's maiden name, I can move on.

Can anyone advise whether information on the death certificate ie is the maiden name for Isabella, or her mother?

Is it possible that the person registering the death did not know her parents names, so included her husband's parents instead?

TWO:
I have found baptisms in 1766-1767 for John McLauchlane and Isabella Campbell in Perthshire, who married in Perthshire in 1824. They also appear in 1841 and 1851 Census in Perthshire.

I have found baptism records for children, all born in Perthshire in 1825, 1827, 1828, 1831, and 1838, with John and Isabella as parents, but which would mean Isabella was bearing children from the age of 59 - so I'm assuming I've missed something! However, they could have been the parents of my Dugald, who was born in 1792.

How likely is it that John and Isabella would have left Perthshire to work or to have a baby before marriage, and travel to Argyllshire, specifically Lismore?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm mainly relying on ScotlandsPeople, FindMyPast and FamilySearch for information.

Many thanks.

Sue

WilmaM

Re: John McLachlan and Isabella Campbell, Argyll

Post by WilmaM » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:13 pm

Hello Sue and [TS_welcome]

A couple of questions:
What was Dugald's wife called? and when & where were they married?
When did his wife die? - so we have a cut off for Scottish records for the family.

I found a census, on Freecen, which may or may not be them:
Piece: SCT1841/528 Place: Morvern -Argyllshire Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Morvern Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 2 Page: 2
Address: Savary

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCLACHLAN Dugald M 50 Farmer Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Catherine F 40 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Duncan M 15 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Christina F 12 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Catherine F 10 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN John M 8 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Margaret F 6 Argyllshire
MCLACHLAN Archibald M 20 Male Servant Argyllshire
MCINTYRE Isabella F 20 Female Servant Argyllshire
This John isn't the eldest son though, unless Duncan didn't emigrate with the rest.
Wilma

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:16 pm

Following on from Wilma's finding of older son Duncan, I had a look for his death certificate and I found one that looks likely to be him - illegitimate son of Dugald McLachlan and Catherine Lamont. Died in the parish of Morvern in 1890, aged 68. Informant: Dugald McLachlan, son.

Food for thought,

AndrewP

sueb

Post by sueb » Thu May 20, 2021 3:48 am

Thanks for looking at this for me. The John I am looking for was Dugald’s father. Dugald was born circa 1790 in Lismore so assume father John was born some time before 1770. Cheers, Sue