Help Deciphering Birthplace.....

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

Davie

Post by Davie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:09 pm

Hi all
I cannot make out where Robert's birth place is.
Fitten is not too common a name in Scotland.
What do the other census returns give the birthplace as?
1871, 1891, 1901 or is it just England
In 1881?

Dwelling: 40 Brown Street
Census Place: Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Robert FITTEN M 53 M England
Rel: Head
Occ: Lamp Lighter
Margaret FITTEN M 38 F Campbeltown, Argyll, Scotland
Rel: Wife
John FITTEN U 21 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Brush Maker
Margaret FITTEN 1 F Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Dau
Robert DICK U 22 M Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Stone Mason
William F. JENNINGS U 21 M England
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Brush Maker

Laura

Post by Laura » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:57 am

Hello Davie,

You are quite correct, FITTON or FITTEN is a rare name in Scotland. It has also been mistranscribed as FILTON. Robert FITTON died 03 DEC 1885 age 55 years. I haven't viewed the 1851 Census, but know he was married in Cairndow, Kilmorich, Argyll in 1852. The 1871 Census just lists his birthplace as England and that's why I am very interested in the 1861 entry. Thanks for your interest.

Kind Regards,
Laura

Laura

Historical Boatmen

Post by Laura » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:09 am

Dear Malcolm,

It is at times like these that I appreciate the wonders of technology. Here I sit in my log cabin in the Rocky Mountains of Canada reading a wonderful account of what life was like for my gggrandfather, told by a person sitting at a keyboard in a civilized part of England.

No, Malcolm, you are not getting carried away. Who better than a sailor to put meat on the bones of a fisherman in 1850 Scotland. When I see pictures of the Loch Fyne area, I can well imagine the attraction. I have a standing date for lunch at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar at Cairndow if I ever get my act together and plan my trip.

Did JustJean mention which tartan she is knitting for your kilt?

Kindest Regards,
Laura

JustJean

Re: Historical Boatmen

Post by JustJean » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:02 pm

Laura wrote: Did JustJean mention which tartan she is knitting for your kilt?

Kindest Regards,
Laura
Hello Laura...and Malcolm...

Just to clarify any misunderstanding... :shock: .I was rather hoping Malcolm would create his own design by visiting the "design your own tartan" link I provided. I'm afraid my knitting skills are limited to one color mittens with uneven stitches...... :? I picked out the avatar...certainly that was punishment enough :?: :roll:

Best wishes
Jean

Davie

Post by Davie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:27 pm

Hi
Very good reading. on why people move theme.
Like most of us that are doing family research, I am always amazed where members of the clan pop up.
I can understand the move to the Colonies, after the ’45, The Clearances, the end of weaving or other trades.
I have rellies appearing in some unlikely villages in Britain.
I am interested on this post because the mention of Tradeston (Dale Street) , Blackpool and Argyle
Here is ma wee input.
Daniel McNaughton died in Ardishaig in 1857.
He was born in Glasgow and was taken the 90 miles back to The Gorbals to be buried.
His son Thomas, born in The Gorbals, was Lord Mayor of Blackpool twice and died on the Steamer travelling from Blackpool to Argyle for a holiday.
He states in documents that his family came from a small village facing Dunderave Castle.
I have never managed to find any of the family from the area.
And Laura, I notice on the 1861 census that Robert Fitton’s wife is Ann and in 1881 Margaret.
Did Robert marry two girls from Argyle?

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:10 am

Dear Laura
Davies reference to Blackpool is interesting. The fascination with Blackpool by the Scots, paticularly Glaswegians has always intrigued me and have often wondered how far back this goes. I went back there about three years ago on a contract for several weeks before the holiday season. Many of the pubs,clubs and much else are manned by Scots who have made Blackpool their permanant home.
I'm just recalling how this place came into the reasoning in the first place. Now then, there is a place on your cencus return that reads like thornum. The closest match to thornum is Thornton which is not far from Blackpool. I should have mentioned this before but the proper name for Thornton is Thornton Clevelys. Could the enumerator have got it so wrong. Another doubt I'm having about this place is that all the place names on your census return are capitalised except for thornum. I think a closer analysis is required here. I'll have another look in the morning. In the meantime, please tell JustJean that not being able to knit is no excuse. I don't care what the tartan is but I would like one with a slash of shocking pink to reflect my feminine side. That's all
Best wishes
Malcolm
Morris (formerly Morrice) of Fife and Geekie of Scone

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:53 am

Malcolm wrote:....snipped..... In the meantime, please tell JustJean that not being able to knit is no excuse. I don't care what the tartan is but I would like one with a slash of shocking pink to reflect my feminine side. That's all
Best wishes
Malcolm
Mah fingers are doon to th nibs frae knittin but Ah went extra oan th pink....hope you like it!

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... p?pos=-278

Best wishes
Jean
Last edited by JustJean on Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

drapadew

Post by drapadew » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:54 am

So you have never heard of the Blackpool Illuminations,or the Glasgow September week-end.I would not have missed it for all the candy rock in Blackpool.
On the last week-end in September,Hundreds of buses loaded with Scotsmen left the Lanarkshire area to spend a wild week-end in Blackpool.
The whole of Blackpool was illuminated with lights,and the buses crawled along the promanade with the most drunken lot of Scotsmen you could ever find in any one place at a given time.
My pals and I had a smashing time!!I think!!
I am talking around the early 1950s,No motorways,so from Glasgow this would take around 10hrs driving.Left Friday evening about 5oclock,arrive in there some time Saturday morning,and would leave there I think it was Sunday night to be back at work.
Maybe that,s why the place is still fill of Scotsmen today.A good few of them missed the bus.
All kidding aside,we really looked forward to our trip every year.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:35 am

Aye... coming back up The Shap on the old A6, bus managing 5 mph if you were lucky behind 50 HGVs, but that was good because it meant you could safely hing out the door, supported by a couple of mates and answer the call of nature, - the only real problem could be the wind direction and strength :!: :-

David

Davie

Post by Davie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:16 pm

Interesting to see these posts.
My Faither wid always take us to the Isle of Man on holiday.
He went there for years before any of us were born.
As did the Belfast cousins.
Could never figure oot that connection either, other than it was a half way meeting place during their only two weeks holiday.
I took ma weans tae Blackpool because every one o' ma mates and their brood were oan the same bus and booked up in boarding house next door to each other