My STEWARTS in CANADA .....

Canada, USA, Mexico, Central America, South America, Carribean

Moderator: Global Moderators

the pretender

My STEWARTS in CANADA .....

Post by the pretender » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Looking for relatives who emigrated to Canada,

ISABELLA STEWART (m. CAMPBELL) b. Edinburgh, 27 Feb, 1881 know as Bell (her parents were John Muir Stewart and Margaret Hendry)
Isabella left Scotland after 1908, her only known address was 210 Alfred Street, Kingston, Ontario which was not a starting address as this info was obtained from an elderly relative (now deceased) prob. between the wars and just after. Bell married PETER CAMPBELL in Canada, dont know if he a Scot or Canadian. Bell came back to Scotland to adopt a girl called Muriel and then went back to Canada with her.

JOHN STEWART b. Edinburgh 25 June, 1879 and his wife (another Isabella) ISABELLA FREW WHITE b. Dalziel, Motherwell, 1st Oct, 1878.
John was the brother of Bell (Isabella 1881)
John killed in WW1 in 1916 and remembered on the Merritton cenotaph, Ontario, Canada. His widow Isabella was listed on his army record as being in Merritton, Ontario when he inlisted (1915) and moved to Port Dalhousie, Ontario (all St Catharines area) by the time of his death. Now looking for possible children of John and Isabella and what happened to her. They married in Edinburgh 1909 so Canada was from then on, guess they went from wedding.

Have yet to find a well used web site for Canadians looking for their Scottish roots, does anyone know of some ?

I have been trying for years to trace Canadian links with not one contact
Last edited by the pretender on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Looking into the STEWARTs of Leadhills, Sanquhar and Wanlockhead 1700 - 1980.
Drem/Ormiston, East Lothian 1820 - 1900
Fountainbridge area (including Banefield and Murdoch Terrace) Edinburgh 1880 - 1960

BarbR

Post by BarbR » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Have you tried the 1911 Canadian census at

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

It is only about 50% transcribed but is free to look at and you can view the images which often give date of immigration. It will be completed (by volunteers) in time.

kind regards
Barbara

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:55 pm

I found Isabella Stewart born may 1887 in 1911 at 272 Wellington East Kingston living with a brother John born in 1873 only two in Kingston at the time other is daughter to John.

the pretender

Reply to Suggestions on My Stewarts in Canada

Post by the pretender » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:49 am

Barbara, thanks, I did try the 1911 census for Canada, I got the electoral district from the municipal web site then trawled through the list house by house until I got to 210 Alfred Street but big disapointment an English family surnamed Eagle were resident then. An unusual name so I thought worth trying on a few websites, surprise it came up on genesreunited and I exchanged some emails with Andy in Canada who was a relative of this Eagle but unfortunately he knew nothing of the Stewarts and lived two hundred miles away, just shows how contactable people are though.

Thanks also to Scottishlass, I dont know when Isabella Stewart became mrs. Campbell though probably not long after arriving in Canada and then where they went I dont know, maybe Kingston was later on.

This branch of my Stewarts/CAMPBELL did pay a last visit to Scotland before WW2 so maybe the Alfred Street address was left then. People visited got a Mountie as souvenir.

The Pretender (Alan)
Fountainbridge area (including Banefield and Murdoch Terrace) Edinburgh 1880 - 1960

BarbR

Post by BarbR » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:20 am

I wonder if you had thought about finding a marriage registration for Isabella and Peter? There are a couple of sites you might try for that, this one they are trying to put all the Ontario marriage registrations online but are far from complete

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~maryc/ontmarr.htm

if you have no luck there you could ask for a look up here (there is a small fee involved)

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com ... quests.htm

If you thought there was any chance that Peter may have gone to fight in WW1 you could try this site for his Attestation papers.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivi ... 106_e.html

Just a few ideas that I have used in trying to trace family in Canada hope they are of some use to you.

Kind regards
Barbara

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:56 am

The marriages only go to 1899 so can not find your listing.

BarbR

Post by BarbR » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:29 am

In Ontario Registration of BMD started in 1869. They are in the public domain as follows:

Births to 1908
Marriages to 1923
Deaths to 1933

I know it is different in other provinces, here in PEI they started 1906 and none are open to the public but in BC they have them available online to 1983. Don't quite know where you are located Scottishlass or where they are only open to 1899 but I have some of my own family BMD from Ontario after 1899.

Kind regards
Barbara

Scottishlass

Post by Scottishlass » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:45 am

Yes Barbara that's true but I'm meaning on the Canadian ancestry sorry should have said that before.

the pretender

My STEWARTS in CANADA

Post by the pretender » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 am

Many thanks to all who replied, have tried nearly all suggestions but still looking for the breakthrough, maybe the way ahead is for people from different countries to barter research with each other, eg you look for my relatives in Canada and I will look for your ancestors in Scotland etc.
thanks again,
The Pretender (Alan)

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Hi Alan - your post has just reminded me of a splendid site/service - Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness

http://www.raogk.org/

It's an international organisation that exists to do exactly what it says - people volunteer to do searches in their area, and the pay off is that you register and volunteer to do a search in your area if requested. It's not exactly free in that you pay expenses - eg photocopying, reasonable travel etc, but they don't charge a fee apart from that.

I've actually used it and a splendid lady in British Columbia trailed about and got various certificates and newspaper cuttings for me. Total cost was about $10 - about a fiver, and we found information on close relatives we didn't know existed. The site also asks that you post a thank you to the searcher at the end - a small price - personally I could've hugged her to bits!

From what I recall, you post the details you have and your request is passed to someone in the right area who will contact you to tell you when they plan to search, what they'll look for etc - becomes personal contact between you and the searcher from then on.

Well worth trying, and I apologise for not remembering sooner.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes